Bored of my aquascape? How do I safely re-aquascape?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tanks has been running for almost a year but I am bored of my aquascape and want to totally change the rock to the flat/stax style rocks.

How can I safely change all the rocks?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? Is current scape glued together? Can you just add more to it? Problem will be with the base rocks being below the substrate.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? Is current scape glued together? Can you just add more to it? Problem will be with the base rocks being below the substrate.
It is on my build thread link if you want to see it. It is Red Sea Reefer 250. It is 65 gallons total system. I am currently using Caribsea purple liferocks. There are 3 islands and they can be taken out separately. Not glued together.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main issue is the new flat rocks not being live. Id get the rocks you want and start seeding now with ur current live rocks in a seperate container after you dry scape and mortar them together.

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tanks has been running for almost a year but I am bored of my aquascape and want to totally change the rock to the flat/stax style rocks.

Be careful so it doesn't move the sand too much and cloud the tank. I have a small tank so it's not too hard for me but if the rocks aren't enormous you don't have to worry too much. If you have a ton of inverts burrowing into the sand then the safest thing is to take out all of the rocks put them on a towel and do it individually.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding some branches or different shelving to the existing?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main issue is the new flat rocks not being live. Id get the rocks you want and start seeding now with ur current live rocks in a seperate container after you dry scape and mortar them together.

Any container? Do I need to put light, filtration, pumps and etc? Do I need to feed it too?

mgelb16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure you remove them slowly and when you build it back together make sure to give your fish plenty of room to hide.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any container? Do I need to put light, filtration, pumps and etc? Do I need to feed it too?
I have mine in a sealed brute full of salt water.
Pump is necissary but airstone and heater only if adding micro fauna.
I also run a carbon reactor on mine as its in my garage where it gets some exhaust sometimes.
And yes. I do a small pinch of a few pellets a few times a week. Sometimes i forget lol.

You essentially want to cycle them.
Just keep an eye on nitrates and perform water changes to keep in check.
No light.

Back