Bought 150 Gallon Tank - Now Concerns

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi shot in the dark here,maybe worth a try ,your call,remove sock,diable ato ,and observe??? don't honesty think will change ,leaning pump,pump to overflow ratio,then if no change after trying if you choose lets try to call in pump/ratio expert,tag me if not around you can # reef squad ... that would be # one word ,did not want to call yet

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi shot in the dark here,maybe worth a try ,your call,remove sock,diable ato ,and observe??? don't honesty think will change ,leaning pump,pump to overflow ratio,then if no change after trying if you choose lets try to call in pump/ratio expert,tag me if not around you can # reef squad ... that would be # one word ,did not want to call yet

I have disabled my ATO for the most part due to issues posted except for testing. I will remove the sock as well and watch. I doubt that will fix it but I will see. The reason for my doubt is that I had this issue before adding the sock :) Thanks for your help.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi @NowGlazeIT might be able to help us figure this out :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I change the sock every other day usually. Last night when I was watching the tank the water level in the sump (pump return section) would vary up and down about 1" in a minute. Add fluctuation, but it doesn't always do that. Sometimes it waves up and down so much it triggers my ATO then it adds water when it shouldn't. I am out of ideas.
Is your main drain running at full siphon?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pipe was bigger or the tank was smaller then it works. But for the issues described and the images provided my guess is the flow going threw that pipe is the issue. A gate valve or a much slower return rate should stabilize the water level in your sump. Of course if your filter socks water level is higher then all the rest you know that it is restricting flow, causing your final chamber water level to lower.

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your main drain running at full siphon?
No I don't believe so, I have a 1-1/4 Durso and the water level runs right at the center of the tee most of the time but it does drop lower on occasion. I made the air holes larger last night, now have two 1/8 air holes.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no once dialed in ,don't touch for sock changes,jmo leave well enough alone ;)

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much! this is awesome. Today received my ATO LVLSW from BRS, and printed your holder It's perfect!

20200523_222734.jpg
20200523_222823.jpg
20200523_222828.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi how is the water fluctuations going,prob solved??

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a gate valve might be the fix here. Without one the full siphon can fluctuate, throwing off you ATO
I had a similar issue with the syphon changing speeds with a ball valve on the main drain pipe. I swapped to an oversized dc return pump for my nano and used the speed adjustment to dial it in. It works much better, but I still have to adjust it once or twice a week.

OP
OP
N

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we have the Sernene light on the top backside of the rim of the aquarium.

I didn't like the way the supplied brackets looked on the bottom nor having to restick the suction cups on top once a week so we made these clips. These fit the rim of an Aquarium Masters Tank and attach the the supplied light bar clips.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gJw5c8OZB8i

IMG_3539.jpg IMG_3541.jpg

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but I've found that going lights off for a day or so (with an old sheet on the front to keep house light out) whenever our fish have had a big stress event has helped before.

Back