Bought a large tank and am having second thoughts

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a 320g in my bedroom and filled a 400g in my fishroom over newyears eve. Both will run silent once the overflow is tuned in.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to have anti-siphon holes on the returns, you won't want a back siphon to overflow your sump.

I am not sure if its better to have 2 return pumps since you'll have more water suspended in the pipes. For maximum reliability I would oversize the sump so that it can hold more water when the return pump is off and keep that second return pump as a backup. Then keep the baffles on the lower side for the skimmer so that there is space for more water.

Also make sure that the overflow is properly sized. With a 10x return rate a 40g tank would have about 400g/h and I think the max flow rate via gravity for a 1" pipe is roughly 600g/h so if there are a lot of bends in that a single return may not be enough. So if you want some add protection from overflow maybe a 3rd overflow pipe (as in a 2nd emergency overflow).

To prevent leaks I would also make sure that your stand is good to go. 40g can get up to 400lbs.
what is a anti siphon hole? I've heard of check valves but don't know what those are
My IM25... love how silent these things run since it’s right next to my bed.

If you do the 40B... be sure to drill it for the overflow. Don’t hob it.

D1B21C52-ECA2-4982-B0A8-DD1458DE9913.jpeg

837DA66A-ED78-49F8-8CA0-CFB19720CC27.jpeg

5248C147-D4A1-42B1-8EB1-2567BC8DC92A.jpeg
also wow! your tank is amazing

Brody’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed the reasoning while reading through the thread but if your parents would let you keep it in the basement why not just do that? Don't get me wrong having the tank in your bedroom would be nice because you would be able to keep a very close eye on any changes happening within the tank. However, I'm assuming if the tank was in the basement you would have a lot more room to work with and the tank wouldn't look as big to both you and your parents.

Also, you only need one return pump. Having two would add an extra layer of complexity to the tank. All you need to do is make sure in the event of a pump failure or power outage the sump can take the full amount of the water that gets back siphoned (the siphon break will help).

Whatever you decide to do good luck with the tank!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM25... love how silent these things run since it’s right next to my bed.

If you do the 40B... be sure to drill it for the overflow. Don’t hob it.

D1B21C52-ECA2-4982-B0A8-DD1458DE9913.jpeg

837DA66A-ED78-49F8-8CA0-CFB19720CC27.jpeg

5248C147-D4A1-42B1-8EB1-2567BC8DC92A.jpeg
I have decided that if I can find a slightly better deal on an im lagoon 25, that is what I will go with, I just have a hard time jumping for it when it would cost MORE than the 40b build.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed the reasoning while reading through the thread but if your parents would let you keep it in the basement why not just do that? Don't get me wrong having the tank in your bedroom would be nice because you would be able to keep a very close eye on any changes happening within the tank. However, I'm assuming if the tank was in the basement you would have a lot more room to work with and the tank wouldn't look as big to both you and your parents.

Also, you only need one return pump. Having two would add an extra layer of complexity to the tank. All you need to do is make sure in the event of a pump failure or power outage the sump can take the full amount of the water that gets back siphoned (the siphon break will help).

Whatever you decide to do good luck with the tank!
I used to have all my tanks in the basement, and even though our basement is "finished" it isn't a nice place to be, and nobody spends time down their, so all of my work would just be hidden away, and only for the occasional person using the treadmill/rower would really see it. Plus, out of sight means out of mind.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe the 40B is any more likely to fail than a smaller tank. So then it's just a matter of space. Keep in mind your audience here, whom are a bunch of obsessed reefers who would probably give up half their bedroom for a massive tank.

Brody’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40B is probably the way to go even over the IM tank. It's cheaper, you already have it, and 25 gallons will do just as much damage as 40.

Also, if you are worried about it being loud check out a herbie overflow. It is two drain pipes, one is a full siphon (fully submerged) and the other is used as an emergency drain if the water level raises too much. I have it on my tank and the only thing that makes any noise is my skimmer.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe the 40B is any more likely to fail than a smaller tank. So then it's just a matter of space. Keep in mind your audience here, whom are a bunch of obsessed reefers who would probably give up half their bedroom for a massive tank.
I wish I could do that but my brother says we need something called "ability to walk around"

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40B is probably the way to go even over the IM tank. It's cheaper, you already have it, and 25 gallons will do just as much damage as 40.

Also, if you are worried about it being loud check out a herbie overflow. It is two drain pipes, one is a full siphon (fully submerged) and the other is used as an emergency drain if the water level raises too much. I have it on my tank and the only thing that makes any noise is my skimmer.
I get all of the points mentioned here, and I would too give up half my bedroom for a giant reef tank, the limiting factor is MY PARENTS, I would have a few second thoughts, and then be like what the heck, but when my parents are now saying we have to have a "family meeting" about the 40b, that's the problem. They would hate me if I kept it, so do I have parents that probably loath me even more than they do now ( i'm the expensive child, only because I actually do work around the house though ) or do I suck it up, get a smaller tank for more money, and have parents that only sorta loath me.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Welcome to the world of decision making. This is a great testament to future decisions you make. I love the thought process you have gone through and your options and concerns. I think mom might just be there to make the decision more though provoking for you. Do not underestimate the cunning of a monther (I am one with 3 kiddoes).

I think whatever you choose will work out. I do love the AIO for ease of use and space save and less likely to leak. You do learn a lot more from DIY build tanks, and it looks like you enjoy that stuff. My 14 year old son would barely know what a hammer was, unless it was needed in a video game. :) I am exagerating, but seriously, you are motivated nicely.

My thought is get what makes you comfortable and happy stocking. Good luck!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Welcome to the world of decision making. This is a great testament to future decisions you make. I love the thought process you have gone through and your options and concerns. I think mom might just be there to make the decision more though provoking for you. Do not underestimate the cunning of a monther (I am one with 3 kiddoes).

I think whatever you choose will work out. I do love the AIO for ease of use and space save and less likely to leak. You do learn a lot more from DIY build tanks, and it looks like you enjoy that stuff. My 14 year old son would barely know what a hammer was, unless it was needed in a video game. :) I am exagerating, but seriously, you are motivated nicely.

My thought is get what makes you comfortable and happy stocking. Good luck!
Thanks for the confidence! I do hate decision making, but I think I figured out a plan :) ( also I do hate hammers, nail guns are better if you HAVE to use nails, but like screws for life )

I will state my options like this,

hey parents, so Obviously you dont want me to keep the 40b, but it is the cheapest option for me, and gets me the most water volume, so I would be willing to go with the 25 gallon if you got it for me for my birthday, otherwise I will just keep the 40 breeder and continue on.

my birthday is in like a couple weeks, so it wouldn't really extend waiting time. I think the will probably say no way to my offer at first, but then once I show them I am really serious about keeping the 40 breeder ( I am ) they might accept, or still choose death but I can always say I offered them another option.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a teen too, SAME problems especially with parents hahaha. I started with a twenty gallon tall then moved to a forty gallon with a twenty gallon sump because I wanted more room then I decided that it was too much upkeep and that it was just too big so I went to a ten gallon but that was too small so now I’m back at a twenty gallon, this time it’s a long peninsula AIO and I’m happier then ever. It’s got the benefits of a sump, it’s got lots of room, it has amazing flow, it’s just an absolutely amazing tank. If you feel this is too much I’d recommend the Nuvo Fusion Twenty Gallon Peninsula by Innovative Marine.

I realized a big water change on my twenty was five gallons and for a forty it’s double. Everything I do is basically doubled with a forty gallon. But with this I can’t stress how perfect it is for me.
Also next year is my senior year so I’m going to college soon... I want a smaller tank that I can take with me to a dorm or apartment. A forty gallon would be harder for me to move and a twenty gallon AIO I can just bottle water and pack it up.

Not trying to be persuasive just telling you my experience with the same set of problems. :)

Last edited:

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know your profile pic does look like you would be a good fish tank water damage lawyer, wanna come be mine?

JK, all the points you make seem to be very true, and do restore confidence in me :) my mom is being so petty with the whole written contract, so I might hit her with the insurance thing.......
Well not that I'm advocating stirring the pot but any contract you sign isn't enforceable if you're under 18 from my understanding of Colorado law. I'm very much not a lawyer just a professional Googler though - https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Education/Youth/Laws.cfm

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An IM25 is not much more expensive when you account for the cost of a 40B + overflow + plumbing + sump (diy) + return pump.
That is very true, my only thing was that I have already invested around $100 and many hours building a stand, and only a few of those things are returnable.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is very true, my only thing was that I have already invested around $100 and many hours building a stand, and only a few of those things are returnable.
That is true. You anyway wanted a bigger tank.

I have a 29g with a 10g sump. My plan is to get an IM25 when I move this summer. I like the clean look of a rimless tank (also bigger tank means more money that I have to invest in filling the tank).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back