Bought a large tank and am having second thoughts

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if it's really that much of an issue with the parents then just go with a smaller tank and keep the peace at home. Larger tanks will always be waiting for you down the road.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided that if I can find a slightly better deal on an im lagoon 25, that is what I will go with, I just have a hard time jumping for it when it would cost MORE than the 40b build.

They make beautiful tanks. It is hard to see how nice they look in photos. They also have an entire line of equipment to match it if you should ever need something for it.

With a smaller tank... specifically the footprint of the Lagoon... it’s probably easier for you to afford quality equipment too. At least the lighting department.

You could start with a single prime light and only need a second if you want a bunch of acros. A single prime would not cover a breeder. I only needed one powerhead on a 25 vs 2 on a breeder. You don’t even need a skimmer on a 25.

When you consider plumbing, return pump, and failsafes you want for the 40, lighting, flow, price starts to become negotiable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always use the stand for the new tank. Store stuff under it instead of the sump. Keep everything nice and neat.
I would just cut down the stand to fit, one of my things is that I love stands that fit the exact footprint of the tank :)

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a teen too, SAME problems especially with parents hahaha. I started with a twenty gallon tall then moved to a forty gallon with a twenty gallon sump because I wanted more room then I decided that it was too much upkeep and that it was just too big so I went to a ten gallon but that was too small so now I’m back at a twenty gallon, this time it’s a long peninsula AIO and I’m happier then ever. It’s got the benefits of a sump, it’s got lots of room, it has amazing flow, it’s just an absolutely amazing tank. If you feel this is too much I’d recommend the Nuvo Fusion Twenty Gallon Peninsula by Innovative Marine.

I realized a big water change on my twenty was five gallons and for a forty it’s double. Everything I do is basically doubled with a forty gallon. But with this I can’t stress how perfect it is for me.
Also next year is my senior year so I’m going to college soon... I want a smaller tank that I can take with me to a dorm or apartment. A forty gallon would be harder for me to move and a twenty gallon AIO I can just bottle water and pack it up.

Not trying to be persuasive just telling you my experience with the same set of problems. :)
that is one reason I got rid of my 60 freshwater, I think I will go with my plan, but in the end I am going to guess it comes down to the 25 ( plus the 25 is rimless, that is insanely nice )

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make beautiful tanks. It is hard to see how nice they look in photos. They also have an entire line of equipment to match it if you should ever need something for it.

With a smaller tank... specifically the footprint of the Lagoon... it’s probably easier for you to afford quality equipment too. At least the lighting department.

You could start with a single prime light and only need a second if you want a bunch of acros. A single prime would not cover a breeder. I only needed one powerhead on a 25 vs 2 on a breeder. You don’t even need a skimmer on a 25.

When you consider plumbing, return pump, and failsafes you want for the 40, lighting, flow, price starts to become negotiable.
ohhh one ai prime would work on that 25, now that sells it even further, I was just gonna go with some cheapo blackbox on the 40.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't forget that youll be thinking of college soon! Who will take care of the tank in your absence? Are you going to be automating things such as feedings, dosing, lighting, testing, etc. I personally think you should go with an AIO 25gal tank. It will be cheaper in terms of necessary equipment such as lighting, flow, return pump, heater etc. Allowing you to either get "higher end" equipment upfront or save it and use it to slowly get your tank ready for you being college bound.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget that youll be thinking of college soon! Who will take care of the tank in your absence? Are you going to be automating things such as feedings, dosing, lighting, testing, etc. I personally think you should go with an AIO 25gal tank. It will be cheaper in terms of necessary equipment such as lighting, flow, return pump, heater etc. Allowing you to either get "higher end" equipment upfront or save it and use it to slowly get your tank ready for you being college bound.
+1 on that. AIO are so much easier than traditional sumps.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhh one ai prime would work on that 25, now that sells it even further, I was just gonna go with some cheapo blackbox on the 40.

Yah, that is the awesome part of the Lagoons dimensions, it fits the footprint of single puck LED's. Many Beautiful mixed reef examples can be found on google image.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feels like a long ways away, but that is true! my mom likes all the smaller tanks too, so she would probably be willing do do the basics,

and I will be automating things over the next few years, but not quite upfront!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Okay!! we just had lunch, and my mom was a whole lot happier with the idea of the IM 25, she said that if I paid for $50 of it my parents would get me the tank for my birthday, so thats what Imma go with!

as far as lighting goes I am going to start with my diy spotlight and a nicrew 30 watt pendant style fixture ( with ramp timer ) and then later upgrade oto the nicrew light as my spotlight, and an AI prime hd as my main light.

for sand I am going with large grain crushed coral, it may not look the most fly, but as seen on my current tank it is easy to clean, and rock will be the same as my current tank, but I am crushing some of the larger pieces, and scaping it ( which should be easy with the nice dimensions of the IM 25 lagoon ) and don't mention that I am going to dye the rock cause I hate the not so established phase, especially when my rock is mixed live/dry rock.

that's my plan, I hate that I will be scrapping some stuff, but I think it will be for a better tank :)

Build thread coming soon! ( as in when I have anything specific ready for this tank )

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Okay!! we just had lunch, and my mom was a whole lot happier with the idea of the IM 25, she said that if I paid for $50 of it my parents would get me the tank for my birthday, so thats what Imma go with!

as far as lighting goes I am going to start with my diy spotlight and a nicrew 30 watt pendant style fixture ( with ramp timer ) and then later upgrade oto the nicrew light as my spotlight, and an AI prime hd as my main light.

for sand I am going with large grain crushed coral, it may not look the most fly, but as seen on my current tank it is easy to clean, and rock will be the same as my current tank, but I am crushing some of the larger pieces, and scaping it ( which should be easy with the nice dimensions of the IM 25 lagoon ) and don't mention that I am going to dye the rock cause I hate the not so established phase, especially when my rock is mixed live/dry rock.

that's my plan, I hate that I will be scrapping some stuff, but I think it will be for a better tank :)

Build thread coming soon! ( as in when I have anything specific ready for this tank )
Well... Thats way more expensive than a 40breeder + 20 long... LoL

Good luck. Should be good

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. A happy and supportive Mom is totally worth the 15g.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice, glad you and your folks figured it out. Can't wait to see the setup!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!! Stoked to see the build!
Well... Thats way more expensive than a 40breeder + 20 long... LoL

Good luck. Should be good
Nice. A happy and supportive Mom is totally worth the 15g.
Nice, glad you and your folks figured it out. Can't wait to see the setup!
Thanks so much all!! I can't wait to get it set up, and I do agree that happy parents are in the end worth 15 gallons :)

( as far as it being more expensive, yes it is, but I think in the end it will be a nicer looking sleeker setup that I will want to keep for longer )

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back