Bought my first and last Aussie Gold Torch

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just wanted to share my experience and maybe save others some money. I bought a Aussie Gold Torch from one of my favorite vendors two weeks ago. It hasn’t looked that great from the start. It’s slowly dying. $360 down the drain. I have other torches ...Dragon Soul, Hellfire, Nuclear, Peach Tip. I’ve even fragged them. Along with over 80 sticks. System is 3 years old. My latest ICP test is near perfect. Save your money and avoid them. I wish I had did a search on here first. I see I’m not alone in my struggle with them.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people get mad at others for “bashing” a company, but, it’s ok to share your experience in my opinion. Some are good, some are bad...unfortunately.

But, if you would like others to be informed, more info must be provided for a future customer to know.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know people get mad at others for “bashing” a company, but, it’s ok to share your experience in my opinion. Some are good, some are bad...unfortunately.

But, if you would like others to be informed, more info must be provided for a future customer to know.
Is this a post about avoiding a particular vendor? I thought this was a warning about Aussie gold torches in general.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
6month old tank running here. With golden, maxima, sps and such doing perfect.
Never had a problem with that before either.
Not if everything in the tank is correct values sorry for your loss
Really... I’m surprised with a 6 month old tank. I can keep RRU Angry Birds alive and I have some Aussie Hammers. But not a gold torch. How long have you had your Aussie Gold Torch? I’ve read multiple posts of them living a year and then just melting. Hopefully you have better luck. Share a pic if you have one. They are beautiful.

NanoReefDenmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really... I’m surprised with a 6 month old tank. I can keep RRU Angry Birds alive and I have some Aussie Hammers. But not a gold torch. How long have you had your Aussie Gold Torch? I’ve read multiple posts of them living a year and then just melting. Hopefully you have better luck. Share a pic if you have one. They are beautiful.
As said. No problem here. Growing. Got 1 head shipped. Now two heads. And only heard about melting torches if values shift, new tank with sudden rise is values, or you get rust inside the plumbing to the RO filter by blending diffrent kinds of metal. (It does not show before you get a watertest done by lab).
Yeah light and flow also.
I hope i am not surpriced someday and it is melting as you wrote !

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_140525.jpg
    IMG_20210122_140525.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As said. No problem here. Growing. Got 1 head shipped. Now two heads. And only heard about melting torches if values shift, new tank with sudden rise is values, or you get rust inside the plumbing to the RO filter by blending diffrent kinds of metal. (It does not show before you get a watertest done by lab).
Yeah light and flow also.
I hope i am not surpriced someday and it is melting as you wrote !
Looks great.. mine didn’t fully open up even. It’s not my water. I have over 300 corals thriving.

Attachments

• 55B5656E-97A4-41CC-9BC0-DD080C07EEE5.jpeg
    55B5656E-97A4-41CC-9BC0-DD080C07EEE5.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 10719713-9892-4FAA-ADCF-3FE66B77B001.jpeg
    10719713-9892-4FAA-ADCF-3FE66B77B001.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 128

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Aussie Gold Torch from one of my favorite vendors two weeks ago. It hasn’t looked that great from the start.
Sounded like a vendor issue to me right from the start
Is this a post about avoiding a particular vendor? I thought this was a warning about Aussie gold torches in general.
Didn’t sound like it according to me

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss! These are not cheap!

I have an Aussie gold torch since July 2020. When I got it, it looked really rough and took about a week and a half to truly open.

65EC7FEC-5C2D-41A7-9204-75D9D75AD0D4.jpeg

Got it to do well in low light and low flow and saw some tissue regrowth. Then, nearly killed it when I added some live sand and introduced uglies. Thought I was gonna lose it, but nursed it back once again in low flow low light plus bunch of iodine dips and occasional feedings.

It’s in my 5 month old tank that I started in august and is now loving it. My PAR is not super high, like 150-200ish but I started it out at like 50-75 when I first got it. Anyway, it’s tough luck with buying corals online. I’ve had seemingly good hammers just melt a week later for no reason.

A17BDE48-031E-4192-8D11-1DBC1AAA0827.jpeg

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had troubles with anything aussie, so I'm wondering if it's a temp issue or something.. I'd be interesting in knowing what the successful reefers keep their tank temps and other parameters at.
Maybe ... me to. But I’ve have a Ultra Aussie Branching Hammer for two years now. Grows like a weed. Been fragged multiple times even.

andrecr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your lost.

I bought mine for my nano in september, always did well.

Recently made an upgrade to a larger setup and due to not having space for 2 tanks the cycling wasnt the best but she is still doing fine...

But I've had some trouble with 1 or 2 corals that are way more "durable" than torches. The first was a fungia that never ever opened and after a month started to melt. The other was a Ultra Tracyphyllia didn't last more than a week, melted too...

Sometimes It isn't about the type of coral but the piece itself, the systems they were before entering ours...

So don't loose hope in Golden Torches :)

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’ve just never had any luck with Aussie torches period. All of my indo torches absolutely thrive in my system, but my Aussie torches always seem to go downhill from when I get them. I have one in my system still where I lost one head, and almost lost the other, however the other head appears to be holding on and slowly growing back tissue. Aussie torches are hard.

For what it’s worth, my Indo gold torch seems to be doing great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back