Bought new tank w overflow, need setup help.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I used to have a 45g aquarium, not drilled, hob filter, cheap setup. Yesterday I bought a 233g reef aquarium with a center overflow. There are 3 drill holes. The seller included two drain pipes (with bulkheads?) and a return - return is easy...the drain is new to me. Been doing some reading but still have some questions. Why are the drain pipes different lengths? Should I use a different drain setup like a durso? I was going to buy new rubber o-rings to ensure good seals. Also going to buy new tubing for the return line.

I plan to buy a bunch of pvc and route everything to my fish room behind the tank. My thought was to use a lot of fittings and gate/valves - is there a generic guide to an optimal setup? I plan to pipe the drains and return, not much more (for now).

And lastly, yes I'll be cleaning all of it w water & vinegar.

IMG_20200713_213115.jpg IMG_20200714_091258.jpg IMG_20200714_091356.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s supposed to be different lengths. Look up a herbie drain on YouTube. It’s much better than a single durso standpipe.

Congrats on your new tank!

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it’s supposed to be different lengths. Look up a herbie drain on YouTube. It’s much better than a single durso standpipe.

Congrats on your new tank!

Thanks, that helps and will do! Any tips on best practices for setup? I've never installed a bulkhead or any of that, I'll probably check YouTube.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that helps and will do! Any tips on best practices for setup? I've never installed a bulkhead or any of that, I'll probably check YouTube.
Gasket goes on the inside of the tank. Clean gasket and glass around bulkhead really well. Only hand tighten to start- skip the tools. Once installed, fill back area with water to leak test.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, since the bulkheads are where leaks are most likely to happen.

just make sure you put the gasket in on the wet side (with the current orientation of the bulkhead). And don’t over tighten. Hand tighten and then another quarter turn and try it out. If there’s a small leak, can tighten a bit more. Anything more, make sure the surface is clean and you’re using a fresh gasket.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm now looking at pvc pipes and fittings (lol). Does anyone know if the above pipes are thread x thread, or if thats what I should/not be getting?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back