Bowerbanki

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick question can bowerbanki and acans be touching or will they sting each other I picked up 2 awsome bowerbanki and I have them kinda close to my acan garden but thought it would be awsome if I could add the bowerbanki to the garden first time owning bowerbanki and I can't find anything on the net

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about “Acan Lords”, they are not Acanthastrea (commonly misnamed and a recent change in the scientific classification). They are actually Micromussa Lordhowensis. Totally different animals from Acanthastrea Bowerbanki.

In my experience the Bowerbanki will destroy your Micromussa Lords. I’d separate them a bit.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in many things reef keeping related 'It depends'.

Here is my large Homophyllia bowerbanki colony that has been peacefully coexisting with a Micromussa lordhowensis colony for about two years now:

Many Heads Bowerbanki_041722.jpg

And then again, the Bowerbanki and this particular Lordhowensis 'traded blows' after touching for a few weeks. The Bowerbanki finally got the upper hand and started to cause more serious damage, so the Lord had to be moved:

Odd Acan Damaged by Bower_081421.jpg

Having different outcomes when the same two species of coral (supposedly) are involved like this raises all kinds of questions. On a practical level I'd say you can give it a try, but be prepared to move the Lord away if you start to see aggression/damage (typically from extruded mesenterial filaments).

OP
OP
Charlie brown

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks really appreciate it I'll try it out see if they don't go to war

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding Nano sapiens. I have a bowerbanki that is placed quite close to some acan lords and there have been no fighting, so it depends. However, if they do fight, I would expect the bowerbanki to win.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back