- Joined
- Oct 23, 2018
- Messages
- 596
- Reaction score
- 539
- What state or country do you live in
- Maine
I sure hope this is in the right forum...I am planning to set up a unconventional mangrove forest 10 gallon for my Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis, kept at about 22 ppt salinity. I was going to have a few inches of substrate (sand with some pond soil added for the mangroves when their roots eventually reach the bottom), some leaf litter above that, and perhaps some tolerant macroalgae on top of the leaf litter. The tank will use an 80 gph mechanical sponge filter to provide a little flow and will also contain dry rock that will develop nitrifiers. I have a few questions on this setup;
1, how much pond soil should I add relative to the sand?
2, should I add more flow?
3, anything else I should be aware of? I have successfully kept freshwater tanks with a lot of leaf litter, but this will be my first attempt doing so in a salty setup.
Thank you :)
1, how much pond soil should I add relative to the sand?
2, should I add more flow?
3, anything else I should be aware of? I have successfully kept freshwater tanks with a lot of leaf litter, but this will be my first attempt doing so in a salty setup.
Thank you :)

, I’m not familiar with your mangrove but if that is suggested, great. Generally most mangroves do fine or better in something less than full strength sw.
