Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Finnex titanium heater burn up yesterday inside of my 50-gallon barrel of saltwater. Lots of smoke. My Inkbird temp controller's audio alarm went off and alerted me to it. Glad I was home. I didn't have a GFCI on that outlet. So, I lost 50 gallons of reserve saltwater and a heater. Never had one do that before. I had another Finnex go out, but less dramatically than the one yesterday. Guess I will move on from those heaters, since that is two now that went bad and I don't think either was two years old.

What brand are you guys using? I had a titanium heater in my 140 for 12 years and it was still working when I tore the tank down. I threw it out when I broke the tank down and now I don't remember what brand it was. It wasn't Finnex though.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last night reinforced my thinking on the new tank. Future frogspawn, torches, or hammers will get their own rock. Also buying the largest bone cutter I can find. My Dremel isn't cordless. That concerns me cutting the frogspawn.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were strongly cautioned against Finnex.
The Finnex titaniums are rated 4 out of 5 on BRS. A few negative reviews, but most are positive. I hadn't used them before.

Any tips or tricks to cutting a branching frogspawn?
Bone cutters are what I use, or some clean side cutters. I use the bone cutters often (when I have actual coral on hand), so that might be something to add to your toolbox in the future.

Bone Cutters

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Finnex titaniums are rated 4 out of 5 on BRS. A few negative reviews, but most are positive. I hadn't used them before.

Bone cutters are what I use, or some clean side cutters. I use the bone cutters often (when I have actual coral on hand), so that might be something to add to your toolbox in the future.

Bone Cutters
Andrew has bone cutters, just not big enough for this guy.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remembered, my old heater on my 140 was a ViaAqua titanium with its own controller.

Andrew has bone cutters, just not big enough for this guy.
I never had anything big enough that bone cutters wouldn't cut through. I might try my Dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel - assuming I could get it out of the tank. :)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the demo shirts from queensboro were promised by Friday. They shipped yesterday and were tracking on time. This morning, they are return to sender for incorrect address information!

UGH!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been around. I was posting here earlier tonight. Posted about my daughter yesterday on my thread, who is doing awesome. Where have you been :p
FB7175DA-BE92-42F1-A71A-C659A3F1D649.jpeg
Sorry, The last two days worked 30 hrs. The escapes exhaust system rusted through. It's been a crazy couple of days
Very nice pic of your daughter.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can we love a hobby that absolutely stresses us out, and makes us broke? Ok, more broke.
I understand, believe me. I am especially disappointed in the price of corals nowadays and what you get for your money. :(
Gary, I use Cobalt heaters and an Ink Bird Controller with no issues.
I have read bad things about the Cobalts. I guess no matter what you use, some of them will fail. I have a Cobalt that I use sometimes when I make small batches of saltwater and I have not had any trouble with it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back