Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heater is perfect unfortunately. They can all fail. The Cobalts had problems in the past. The company changed the design and made them guaranteed for life, but they still can fail. If they fry your tank, a free heater is probably little compensation.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning everybody !!!

48397235761_ca5ab34c61_b.jpg
That is some gorgeous spam!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Finnex titanium heater burn up yesterday inside of my 50-gallon barrel of saltwater. Lots of smoke. My Inkbird temp controller's audio alarm went off and alerted me to it. Glad I was home. I didn't have a GFCI on that outlet. So, I lost 50 gallons of reserve saltwater and a heater. Never had one do that before. I had another Finnex go out, but less dramatically than the one yesterday. Guess I will move on from those heaters, since that is two now that went bad and I don't think either was two years old.

What brand are you guys using? I had a titanium heater in my 140 for 12 years and it was still working when I tore the tank down. I threw it out when I broke the tank down and now I don't remember what brand it was. It wasn't Finnex though.
I am using thia off brand. Its Hygger Titanium heater. Works well so far, alway within 0.2 degrees of my other 2 thermometers.

Screenshot_20190919-063308_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heater is perfect unfortunately. They can all fail. The Cobalts had problems in the past. The company changed the design and made them guaranteed for life, but they still can fail. If they fry your tank, a free heater is probably little compensation.
I am just glad that happened in a holding tank with no livestock in it. Pretty sure that would have nuked the tank, even if the heater was in the sump. The water has a nasty film on top of it this morning. I hope the plastic barrel is not tainted now. I will have to throw all the water out and clean the barrel insides out the best that I can. Hopefully it will be ok.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL equipment can and will fail. Regardless of pedigree or price.

I buy what I can afford and do proper maintenance on it. This doesn't guarantee protection, but, it does make me very familiar with my equipment and I can head off most issues before they become a problem.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I buy what I can afford and do proper maintenance on it. This doesn't guarantee protection, but, it does make me very familiar with my equipment and I can head off most issues before they become a problem.
I have read that some people replace heaters annually. Funny that I had one last 12 years, so I really wasn’t looking to do that. Now after two failures I may reconsider doing that in the future.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, believe me. I am especially disappointed in the price of corals nowadays and what you get for your money. :(

I have read bad things about the Cobalts. I guess no matter what you use, some of them will fail. I have a Cobalt that I use sometimes when I make small batches of saltwater and I have not had any trouble with it.

I have 4 Cobalts and have had them for 3+ years now with no issues, I'll be using them on my new build as well. They did at one point have an issue with one specific size but they rectified that.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Finnex titanium heater burn up yesterday inside of my 50-gallon barrel of saltwater. Lots of smoke. My Inkbird temp controller's audio alarm went off and alerted me to it. Glad I was home. I didn't have a GFCI on that outlet. So, I lost 50 gallons of reserve saltwater and a heater. Never had one do that before. I had another Finnex go out, but less dramatically than the one yesterday. Guess I will move on from those heaters, since that is two now that went bad and I don't think either was two years old.

What brand are you guys using? I had a titanium heater in my 140 for 12 years and it was still working when I tore the tank down. I threw it out when I broke the tank down and now I don't remember what brand it was. It wasn't Finnex though.
I'm using Eheim Jager, I have a second hanging in my SW closet for backup incase the current one goes out.
My 20 gal I transferred from was using a 100Watt Finnex Titanium Digital,
That thing is made for 20-30 gallon tanks and I had to have the thing set at 82 to keep the 20gal tank at 77.8-78.4
I wouldn't get another one of those again!
THIS^^

They did at one point have an issue with one specific size but they rectified that.
From what I've read they fixed the issue with the 150/200 watt units. The neotherm is nice but expensive.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all don't forget @revhtree is going to be on #AskBRSTV in a little over an hour!!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of funny that the three of them will talk about the cost of a dream tank when none of them probably pay for anything they use.

Not bitter at all. If I could get in that position I would.

But, it just seems ironic to me.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right?
But it wasn't always that way.
In the past episode Ryan says how he spent like $20k on a basement setup to propagate and sell corals, says it wasn't profitable.
Also that being said I hope you @dantimdad do get to that position in the industry.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right?
But it wasn't always that way.
In the past episode Ryan says how he spent like $20k on a basement setup to propagate and sell corals, says it wasn't profitable.
Also that being said I hope you @dantimdad do get to that position in the industry.

Problem with me is, if I ever do get into that position, I probably will just give it away what was given to me.

:)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of funny that the three of them will talk about the cost of a dream tank when none of them probably pay for anything they use.

Not bitter at all. If I could get in that position I would.

But, it just seems ironic to me.
My dream tank is sitting in the basement. Never thought i would have a sw tank let alone a reef

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back