Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here ya go... she ate 3-4 pieces that size. Yes those are bigger than her head. Yes she eats like that every night. Downed almost a whole cube of mysis last night.

Her little glowy mouf ❤️

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, grey and red it is. Now the confusing complicated part begins. Threaded, slip, yada yada. I need help! I'm clueless in this department. The only thing that I'm sure of is SPEARS.
SlipxSlip glue everything together and use a bunch of unions for disassembly for cleaning/clogs/emergency

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grey gate valves. HD or Lowe's have those? I'd prefer grey handles too. I guess if they matched, we could be ok with another color.
You don't have to buy from BRS but this is what you want...Spears gate valve

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71
Personally I'm running one of these True Union Check Valves on both tanks, right after the return pump.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Katrina71
Personally I'm running one of these True Union Check Valves on both tanks, right after the return pump.
I was planning that.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd skip the check valve... your sump should have enough room to handle any overflow that will come down. Check valves add another layer of maintenance which can be really difficult as they usually are placed in difficult spots to access. If the aren't maintained regularly they fail, even if you do maintain them they can still fail, if you look at them funny, they can fail (Joking on that last part, Kinda...).

Alot of arguements are made they are nice to have as a backup, but if your sump is big enough to hold all the water that will drain down. Well then there really isn't a need for a backup. The only arguement worth really entertaining atleast IMO is they can maintain the level in your sump to keep the skimmer from freaking out with the change in water height.

Last edited:

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it simple for now, it sounds like this hobby isn't something you want to pump mega cash into. Just something for the kids. I'd suggest you find a matching pair of clowns, as clowns are damsel fish and at times can kill each other. Keeping low numbers and fish of similar look can help reduce that. my local fish store keeps bonded pairs, and i'm sure yours will also. As for hermit crabs and shrimp you can try a hermit and a couple shrimp. I wouldn't have too many creatures as that will raise nutrients in your tank and require water changes as a means of export more often. As it seems you don't want this hobby to become all consuming the need for less frequent water changes is probably something that will interest you....

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it simple for now, it sounds like this hobby isn't something you want to pump mega cash into. Just something for the kids. I'd suggest you find a matching pair of clowns, as clowns are damsel fish and at times can kill each other. Keeping low numbers and fish of similar look can help reduce that. my local fish store keeps bonded pairs, and i'm sure yours will also. As for hermit crabs and shrimp you can try a hermit and a couple shrimp. I wouldn't have too many creatures as that will raise nutrients in your tank and require water changes as a means of export more often. As it seems you don't want this hobby to become all consuming the need for less frequent water changes is probably something that will interest you....
This is honestly great advice! @Katrina71 remember you don’t want this hobby to become all consuming ;)

@Dixon B this thread is perhaps incorrectly titled, but you are welcome to join! Just be prepared, the conversations don’t always revolve around saltwater :p

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I'd skip the check valve... your sump should have enough room to handle any overflow that will come down. Check valves add another layer of maintenance which can be really difficult as they usually are placed in difficult spots to access. If the aren't maintained regularly they fail, even if you do maintain them they can still fail, if you look at them funny, they can fail (Joking on that last part, Kinda...).

Alot of arguements are made they are nice to have as a backup, but if your sump is big enough to hold all the water that will drain down. Well then there really isn't a need for a backup. The only arguement worth really entertaining atleast IMO is they can maintain the level in your sump to keep the skimmer from freaking out with the change in water height.
You guys will have to help me literally piece by piece when I buy plumbing.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Josh said on the check valve. Even if they seem to stop the backflow, it can leak down gradually and let a lot of water past it over time. I had one of the Wye valves in mine and it would do that. I am not using one on my new tank.

I am also using the Oatey 2-1 primer and cement on my tank.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What Josh said on the check valve. Even if they seem to stop the backflow, it can leak down gradually and let a lot of water past it over time. I had one of the Wye valves in mine and it would do that. I am not using one on my new tank.

I am also using the Oatey 2-1 primer and cement on my tank.
I didn't know they had 2-in1!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the new upgrade. We are working on a 90 cube. So much for not being all consuming. Which is sound advice.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they had 2-in1!
It is called Fusion.
3C08E17E-8704-48A1-8F84-43ABB1C59C14.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back