Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sponge decorator crab has decided to wear everything. The most hideous outfit in history. I'm not even sure where he found half of it!

My neon goby used to perch on top of my fireshrimp. So I just hope your crab is wearing a little fish like a hat

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind. I'm genuinely trying to make this tank healthy despite the size. Any specific tiny fish you recommend? I'd like vivid color if possible.
I've had a very great BioCube 29 for 2 years. A royal gramma is a great hardy fish for the tank and you can never go wrong with a couple clown fish. If this is a biocube, they do make a protein skimmer specifically for their tanks. I'd go with live sand as well and make sure you are using RO water that you should also be able to get from your local fish store...with a smaller tank it's important to change probably 2 gallons of water weekly once your tank has cycled. best of luck to you and welcome to a very helpful form.

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ato= auto top off. It basically maintains the water level of your tank so you don't have to manually add it. Does a great job with preventing salinity swings. A UV sterilizer isn't a 'must have'. Sterilizers essentially kill any micro organisms (including algaes, protozoans, parasites, and bacterias) by altering their genes causing them to die sooner. Can't hurt to have one, but definetly not something that's essential.
You won't need an ATO. You won't lose a lot of water due to evaporating as the biocube is an enclosed system.

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you could probably put either a frogspawn coral or hammer coral in the tank to give it a little extra "umph" very hardy corals that add a little xtra life to your tank.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, ok. The crab will become a supermodel. Fair warning...hideous. He's now ripped a huge chunk off my pretty plating sponge. Like the outfit needed an accessory! Btw, he officially has a name. :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not mad. He's just doin' what he does. It's an expectation...like a redhead's temper.

Agreed. It is his nature to hoard (not touching the second part). Urchins are fun too as collectors. Either could play havoc in my system (all loose rocks with frags) or I would consider them. My kids would love a decorator crab, but I think I prefer to decorate the tank myself. That is my nature :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%

Back