OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are there any particular fish or shrimp that thrived in your tank? Any other equipment you used that I might need to get?

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! BTW...Can you mix macro algae with live coral? Should you? Or are you better off having a lush green tank or just live rock and coral? I didn't know until yesterday we could even support live coral with our lighting. Is one healthier than the other?

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ato worked for you? If you had success with it, I am sure I will too.
I used the Hyder ATO, it's definitely not the best, but it was the cheapest, and the 8 gallon was my "see how little I can spend" tank lol.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 8 gallon science project we have going on is not cheap. I'm trying to keep our costs as low as I can, but keep the tank healthy as well. I haven't figured out how to find used items on here yet, but I was told it was here. I'm totally cool with second hand equipment and supplies.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8 gallon science project we have going on is not cheap. I'm trying to keep our costs as low as I can, but keep the tank healthy as well. I haven't figured out how to find used items on here yet, but I was told it was here. I'm totally cool with second hand equipment and supplies.

When you hit 30 days and have 25 posts, the marketplace threads will magically appear. If you'd like more detailed information, it can be found here.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! BTW...Can you mix macro algae with live coral? Should you? Or are you better off having a lush green tank or just live rock and coral? I didn't know until yesterday we could even support live coral with our lighting. Is one healthier than the other?
You can have macro algae in your display with coral, especially softies and lps. You can get alot of color and movement pretty inexpensively with discoma mushrooms, green star polyps, clove polyps and really attractive zoanthids (as long as they don't have super hero or trust fund names). Now these corals are super hardy and grow fast and can out compete more advanced corals but have low light requirements and are more resistant to parameter swings.
Be prepared that later, if you decide to go in a different direction you may have to change out your rocks as these guys are almost impossible to kill. On the upside you might be able to trade/sell your grown out softies for new rock and other frags.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a whole new underwater world I am discovering. Even with an empty tank, my son has learned new things. I couldn't begin to give him a magical little tank without all of your input. The specific names are so helpful to a newbie like me.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Excited to see your pico set up and look forward to following. Don't be overwhelmed with all there is to learn. Just read and read more. Ask questions. Best of luck. It's an awesome hobby!

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best container to store purchased water? Prefer 1 gallon containers. My bio cube stand will hold 2 of these. I'd be able to have 1 for top off and 1 salt. Is spring water safe for top off? Is there ( I don't know exactly what this is yet...) An inexpensive ro/di that connects to a kitchen sink?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply and spectrapure both have reasonable rodi unit kits. You need to check with your municipality to make sure that they are not using chloramine heavily, if they are you with need a 6 stage unit.
For your containers I would try target, walmart or Amazon.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried calling, and apparently there are no actual humans that work there. Lol
Your local fish store might be able to tell you whether its chlorine or chloromine. Yes your LFS should be able to check for you, but they probably already know especially if they have their own system.

Back