Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the sand altogether. Then you can have one type of snail that'll munch on the glass floor and keep your tank very clean. Keeping your sand clean can be a pain!

Also, if it's your kids tank why not get a clown? Nemo got to be what they want, right? One clown and one cleaner shrimp and you've got a nice stock.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the sand altogether. Then you can have one type of snail that'll munch on the glass floor and keep your tank very clean. Keeping your sand clean can be a pain!

Also, if it's your kids tank why not get a clown? Nemo got to be what they want, right? One clown and one cleaner shrimp and you've got a nice stock.

8g is slightly small for a clown.. unless it's hosting a nem. Preferably you'd have at least a 15g. I listed some nano fish a few posts ago

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one clown, one shrimp, and a snail?

I'd go with something more like a fire fish/ barnacle blenny/ hectors goby/ neon goby as they stay a bit smaller. 1 shrimp is alright, I'd go with either a skunk cleaner or a peppermint.

For other inverts, you can go with a combo of 6-8 small hermits/ snails. I'd go with 2 cerith snails, 2 trochus snails, and 4 small hermits.

Don't add all at the same time, I'd first put half of the snails/ crabs in, make sure your reading 0 ammonia/nitrites for a couple days, then add 1 of the listed fish. It's best to wait for at least a month after your tank is fully cycled before adding your shrimp

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8g is slightly small for a clown.. unless it's hosting a nem. Preferably you'd have at least a 15g. I listed some nano fish a few posts ago

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you for the most part, but this is a kids tank. They're going to want nemo in there. Also, we all know how this hobby works. 8g will be suitable for maybe 6 months and then they'll be hooked and buy something bigger.

Unless, OP, I'm off basis and this is the end-all be-all tank size then I'd stick to Jake's list.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go with something more like a fire fish/ barnacle blenny/ hectors goby/ neon goby as they stay a bit smaller. 1 shrimp is alright, I'd go with either a skunk cleaner or a peppermint.

For other inverts, you can go with a combo of 6-8 small hermits/ snails. I'd go with 2 cerith snails, 2 trochus snails, and 4 small hermits.

Don't add all at the same time, I'd first put half of the snails/ crabs in, make sure your reading 0 ammonia/nitrites for a couple days, then add 1 of the listed fish. It's best to wait for at least a month after your tank is fully cycled before adding your shrimp
Very helpful. I'm so confused about where to start. Anyone open to texting one on one to answer specific questions? Is that allowed?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful. I'm so confused about where to start. Anyone open to texting one on one to answer specific questions? Is that allowed?

Feel free to ask them here. Everyone that's posted within this thread gets alerted pretty quickly.

My favorite thing to do during the research phase was watch a bunch of youtube videos. There are so many people that walk you through years of fish tanks. TBH best place to start is BRS 52 weeks of reefing. It's fifty-two 20-30 minute videos that will walk you through absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new addiction! We are all here to help. To echo some above an 8 gallon isn't really hard so much as forces discipline and schedule with limitations on what can be done.
You will almost guarantee yourself success if you commit yourself to 2 gallon or so water changes a week. Just make sure you match salinity and temperature closely before you change the water to avoid large parameter shifts.
It sounds silly on a tank this small but I would do a smart micro auto top off unit to replace the water that evaporates. It will help avoid salinity swings when life gets busy and you forget to add fresh water for a day or 2.
The water changes will help your water quality more than a protein skimmer. For this size tank you will want to keep it simple.
Add enough rock/macro algae to give the fish you choose plenty of hiding places. It sounds crazy but the more hiding spots the more likely the fish are to come out.
Stocking wise 2 fish should be a maximum and best to add them a month ago apart or so after the tank cycles.
I would recommend a neon goby, firefish, rainford goby, or possum wrasse. All of these fish are jumpers so make sure you have a tight lid.
A couple of shrimp should be no problem, fire or cleaner, then a few snails 1 or 2 of each kind only, aestrea, trochus, cerith.
Be careful feeding, you don't want to starve your fish, but once a day with the species above is plenty and no more than they eat in a few minutes.
As for corals try some gsp, zenia, colorful mushrooms and zooanthids. If you decide you want something more advanced you can easily reset your aquascape.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Tampa Bay Saltwater would do a "package" for a tank this small?

You haven't mentioned how old your son is and whether he is likely to be interested in the small life forms that come with live rock or need something larger to catch his interest.

Also, what kind of lighting does the Biocube have?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's allowed but if you don't mind, it might help other new people to ask it in the thread.

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, you'll get a broader range of support by posting here, or in a build thread. More eyes, more help. And as mentioned, it may help others in the same situation. Don't be bashful with questions...that's why you signed up to this great resource.:D

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new addiction! We are all here to help. To echo some above an 8 gallon isn't really hard so much as forces discipline and schedule with limitations on what can be done.
You will almost guarantee yourself success if you commit yourself to 2 gallon or so water changes a week. Just make sure you match salinity and temperature closely before you change the water to avoid large parameter shifts.
It sounds silly on a tank this small but I would do a smart micro auto top off unit to replace the water that evaporates. It will help avoid salinity swings when life gets busy and you forget to add fresh water for a day or 2.
The water changes will help your water quality more than a protein skimmer. For this size tank you will want to keep it simple.
Add enough rock/macro algae to give the fish you choose plenty of hiding places. It sounds crazy but the more hiding spots the more likely the fish are to come out.
Stocking wise 2 fish should be a maximum and best to add them a month ago apart or so after the tank cycles.
I would recommend a neon goby, firefish, rainford goby, or possum wrasse. All of these fish are jumpers so make sure you have a tight lid.
A couple of shrimp should be no problem, fire or cleaner, then a few snails 1 or 2 of each kind only, aestrea, trochus, cerith.
Be careful feeding, you don't want to starve your fish, but once a day with the species above is plenty and no more than they eat in a few minutes.
As for corals try some gsp, zenia, colorful mushrooms and zooanthids. If you decide you want something more advanced you can easily reset your aquascape.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170327_203101.jpg

IMG_20170320_204850.jpg

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just took down my 8 gallon biocube. It was a very low maintenance tank! I did not have a skimmer on it, just did 30-40% waterchanges every week or so. I did have an ATO and it was a life saver because I was adding RO twice a day before I installed it. I plan on setting it back up in my office at work:) I think you will really like it, oh and welcome:D
2017-03-21-23-27-53.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back