OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone is moving and has a large tank they are breaking down. They offered live reef rock, sand, and water for our little tank. Any reason this would be bad? This tank is several years old.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone is moving and has a large tank they are breaking down. They offered live reef rock, sand, and water for our little tank. Any reason this would be bad? This tank is several years old.

Have a look at it and see if you see any of these: excessive hair algae, macro algae, bubble algae, aiptasia or majanos. None of these are the end of the world but would mean more work up front.

Personally, I think starting with established rock is great. You should get lots of hitchhikers.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Question 4006... If I use rock, sand, and water from an established tank, could I get a soft coral? Do I need to wait until after we add wildlife?

Efranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Question 4006... If I use rock, sand, and water from an established tank, could I get a soft coral? Do I need to wait until after we add wildlife?
I would wait and test your water levels... in this hobby patience is key... this is the best way to try and avoid mistakes we've all done in the past when we started out

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day one trouble. Just set up and I don't think the motor is working. I don't hear anything. I have a pump and airstone ( freshwater type and saltwater power head) will either of these work until I can find a replacement? My bio one has the 3 compartments on the back. Please help! Only live sand and reef rock in the tank now.

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power head is the best to get water moving the airstone will help also, plus give oxygen in the water. Do both for now

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have livestock in the tank yet, either of the two methods will work, though the power head is better. If you have livestock then use the air also.
Yes the pump is in the back. Is it underwater now?

Back