OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a little bummed. I was told that sumps like mine aren't good. Can somebody explain? What sumps are good?

Last edited:

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is probably a huge varied opinion on that and I think most have their positives. You could make your's work just fine, but you cold also upgrade it pretty easy if you wanted to. A little DIY can make for an inexpensive sump.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there is probably a huge varied opinion on that and I think most have their positives. You could make your's work just fine, but you cold also upgrade it pretty easy if you wanted to. A little DIY can make for an inexpensive sump.
What do you suggest?

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest?

Not sure what kind of money you want to spend, but in my opinion a great option are the fiji cube baffle kits. A cheap petco tank, some silicon and one of their kits can be great.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump being only 3 chambers is not really conducive to having a fuge in it. You could use it and use a small 5 or 10 gallon as a remote fuge. This is what I would do with what you got. Wait for the petco $1/gal sale and get one. Either that or make or buy an acrylic one.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump being only 3 chambers is not really conducive to having a fuge in it. You could use it and use a small 5 or 10 gallon as a remote fuge. This is what I would do with what you got. Wait for the petco $1/gal sale and get one. Either that or make or buy an acrylic one.
Also a good idea.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing about those kits is it's going to cost more money to go that way vs. using what you got and making a small remote fuge. A small pump in the overflow section with vinyl tubing to a 5/10 gal tank for fuge. And any container that is food grade will work. Drilled for an overflow that could gravity feed right back to the sump would work great.

EDIT: This is actually my plan when/if I ever put one together ;)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the Fiji cube ones, they offer three sizes. Not the cheapest baffle option but they are nice kits, a friend of mine has one.

https://www.fijicube.com/collections/sump-and-filteration

If you like send me a design you want for a sump and I can make it and send it to you. I built acrylic aquariums, filters, and a bunch of other stuff for the trade for over 30 years I think I could handle a custom sump for you and your son. I can build it to match your Tunze since I have most of the specs for them in my office files. No cost to you! Just trying to fan the flames of your young hobbiest and his new aquarium.

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an empty tank and a piece of dead coral. I have a heater that was handed down with the tank. I'm confused with live sand and live coral. What would you use as a substrate that might have benefits to help keep the tank balanced? Do you think 2 tiny fish and 2 shrimp would be possible?
You could do two tiny fish. (Maybe a pair of ocellaris clownfish) I think two shrimp should be fine. Just make sure that you don’t put too many inverts.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you like send me a design you want for a sump and I can make it and send it to you. I built acrylic aquariums, filters, and a bunch of other stuff for the trade for over 30 years I think I could handle a custom sump for you and your son. I can build it to match your Tunze since I have most of the specs for them in my office files. No cost to you! Just trying to fan the flames of your young hobbiest and his new aquarium.
I had a really bad day. This made me cry a lot. In a good way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back