View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s correct.

Calc 420
Alk 12
Mag 1260
Those are current tank params? Me personally... I would hold Ca where it is, allow kH to slow fall to 8-9, and raise Mg to 1350-1400. That's just me tho. You can run that kH if that's what you want tho, but I would still raise Mg to 1350.
OHHHH... that's salt mix. IDK man, high alkalinity makes me really nervous. I know lots of people run it just fine tho. More of a tight rope than I like to walk. I prefer a path the size of the hover dam.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHHH... that's salt mix. IDK man, high alkalinity makes me really nervous. I know lots of people run it just fine tho. More of a tight rope than I like to walk. I prefer a path the size of the hover dam.

A 15-20% wc shouldn’t cause more than a 1dkh change.

I have to get my levels normal before dosing one way or another. It’s best to do it with water changes than my first few doses.

The alternative is these corals dying before next Thursday.

It’s a no brainer that I need to water change.

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well , when you do your mix , depending on the type of salt , i'Ve herd ionic balnces can take place over the next 24 hours. I like to keep mine sitting a while with an air pump. but again thats me I would just never do the wc right away though

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well , when you do your mix , depending on the type of salt , i'Ve herd ionic balnces can take place over the next 24 hours. I like to keep mine sitting a while with an air pump. but again thats me I would just never do the wc right away though

I don’t typically have time to wait. I don’t rely on hearsay either.

Studies show that most salt mixes are fine almost instantly.

I run two powerheads in the brute while I heat it up. Usually takes about an hour or two until I add to the tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t typically have time to wait. I don’t rely on hearsay either.

Studies show that most salt mixes are fine almost instantly.

I run two powerheads in the brute while I heat it up. Usually takes about an hour or two until I add to the tank.
I like to make mine one day, mix salt the next, then change water on the 3rd day... my water is really cold out the tap right now, so it takes a while to get up to temp with the heaters in the Brute. I like to mix the salt at tank temp, and then circulate for a day to ensure thorough agitation has occurred.

I know that the salt is ready the instant the water turns clear, it's just what I like to do. In emergency cases, heat n eat... that's why I'd like a mixing station.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make mine one day, mix salt the next, then change water on the 3rd day... my water is really cold out the tap right now, so it takes a while to get up to temp with the heaters in the Brute. I like to mix the salt at tank temp, and then circulate for a day to ensure thorough agitation has occurred.

I know that the salt is ready the instant the water turns clear, it's just what I like to do. In emergency cases, heat n eat... that's why I'd like a mixing station.
I make five gallons at a time. My brute, 32 gal, is in the basement in the same room as the furnace. So my water stays close to 68. Make five gallon heat it in the morning. When I get home quick and simple.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what Im using. I'm thinking of switching because of alk being so high.

I like it because your able to get back to your target when you do a wc. If alk was 9 then I’d always be chasing alk every wc.

This may change if I start dosing but there are just too many horror stories of when people change salt.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it because your able to get back to your target when you do a wc. If alk was 9 then I’d always be chasing alk every wc.

This may change if I start dosing but there are just too many horror stories of when people change salt.
Is io that far off rc? It does have a slightly lower alk

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Switched from Red Sea Blue Bucket to Brightwell Neomarine with no change in the tank at all. Probably will be changing salt again here in a few months. Whenever this bucket of Brightwell I just opened runs out.

That, or setting up a filter system to run new mixed salt thru to remove the clay.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back