Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the “first stop” hanna is referring to? I feel some tension halfway through the button click but not enough to do it consistently.

Am I misinterpreting what they are saying?
I know exactly what you're talking about.

Normal

20191212_221616.jpg

First stop (you'll feel it kinda want to stop, like hitting a second spring)

20191212_221621.jpg

Second stop, **** deep

20191212_221625.jpg

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme know how it is. I still will probably rely on my trusty refractometer tho.
I've heard and read great things about it. Even compared to the milwaukee unit it's supposedly better, isn't affected by light, floats and is much cheaper.
I'll definitely give a review on it though.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the Hanna Ca checker is the sample size. It's too small. The margin of error is crazy. 0.01ml off in your sample is a 10% error. 400ppm Ca tank could come back as 360 or 440. All from 0.01ml, you know how tiny that is?

Pick your test based on these rules;
Simplicity of procedure
SAMPLE SIZE, the bigger the better.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard and read great things about it. Even compared to the milwaukee unit it's supposedly better, isn't affected by light, floats and is much cheaper.
I'll definitely give a review on it though.
It's a conductivity probe. Should be good to go. Doesnt need to be stored in a solution, as long as the probes are clean it should read accurately, and should be easy to calibrate. Measuring salinity with conductivity is pretty straight forward. That's how your TDS meter works on your RODI.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a conductivity probe. Should be good to go. Doesnt need to be stored in a solution, as long as the probes are clean it should read accurately, and should be easy to calibrate. Measuring salinity with conductivity is pretty straight forward. That's how your TDS meter works on your RODI.
Exactly why I want one, also easy to calibrate and tests temp at the same time.
Switchable from S/G to PPT
and temp from C to F

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both manual (refractometer) nd lcd screen with sensor i hate the lcd screen
Like that ?

20191212_222019.jpg
That’s exactly what I have! Rachel got me one for my birthday, I hadn’t checked my salinity in about 3 months and was spot on at 1.026

buying water from the LFS is just such a consistent win. I am watching you guys talk about salt and realizing I’ve never even asked what I’m using. I think it’s instant ocean though, but don’t hold me to that.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I have! Rachel got me one for my birthday, I hadn’t checked my salinity in about 3 months and was spot on at 1.026

buying water from the LFS is just such a consistent win. I am watching you guys talk about salt and realizing I’ve never even asked what I’m using. I think it’s instant ocean though, but don’t hold me to that.
As long as your LFS is consistent there's no problem with buying water from them. I like to do things myself tho so I could never let someone else to make my water for me.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your LFS is consistent there's no problem with buying water from them. I like to do things myself tho so I could never let someone else to make my water for me.
I have trusted the old guys there from the beginning and everything they have told me has been absolutely spot on. They have a ton of expensive corals, for display and for sale and for farming, and use the exact same RODI water and saltwater for all their tanks as what they are selling me. I trust that they have a massive financial interest to not **** up.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well uh, I’m clearly doing something wrong. If says to shake vigorously but maybe I have too many bubbles.
B881DEED-2ACF-4BD1-96BA-DCBC622A427F.jpeg

Oh nooooo @Robin Haselden is a prophet
1ml liquid reagent, 9ml RODI.
Close curvete and turn on meter
At C1 insert curvete and press button
At C2 remove curvete, add powder reagent and add 100ųl of sample water(yes 0.1ml)
Close curvete and shake
Place curvete inside
Press button
Wait for meter to tell you you have 600ppm Ca

Repeat steps and get 200

Repeat again and get error.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back