Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still counts!
More softies coming today for Pirates Reef from Marine Farmers. The beginning of stocking for the 125. So yeah, maybe it can count. :)

Last edited:

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics or it didn't happen!
The Xenia is an old-school variety that I haven't seen in a while. I had some in my 75 20 years ago. It grows from a single thick stalk and makes an awesome looking large pulsating head. They are not as invasive at other varieties and are easy to control in the tank. They don't ship well, so I hope it makes it ok. I know most people laugh at Xenia, but this is one of my favorite corals in the display. This is a close-up of one of my old ones in my 75. I wish I had a video of them pulsing.

Xenia.jpg

Xenia-2-2-05.jpg

Since you asked, there are these pics from the website. A lot of these corals are in MikeC's Softy Tank and this is the same place that he got some of his corals. His tank has become my inspiration tank, even though it is not what the tank started out to be five years ago. Has it been that long? LOL!

Frogspawn
Frogspawn.JPG

Giant Bali Xenia
Giant Bali Xenia.JPG

Green Pipe Organ
Green Pipe Organ.JPG

Purple Candelabra Gorgonian
Purple Candelabra Gorgonian.JPG

Red Mushroom
Red Mushroom.JPG

Red Sponge
Red Sponge.JPG

Tank Raised Red Goniopora
Tank Raised Red Goni.JPG

Tonga Yellow Toadstool - I am hoping the color is similar to the pic.
Tonga Yellow Toadstool.JPG

Tracy Morgan Gorgonian - these get huge and are thick and very frilly.
Tracy Morgan Gorgonian.JPG

There will also be a freebie or two that I don't know what they will be. Sorry for the long post. Retired people tend to be long-winded. ;Happy

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xenia is an old-school variety that I haven't seen in a while. I had some in my 75 20 years ago. It grows from a single thick stalk and makes an awesome looking large pulsating head. They are not as invasive at other varieties and are easy to control in the tank. They don't ship well, so I hope it makes it ok. I know most people laugh at Xenia, but this is one of my favorite corals in the display. This is a close-up of one of my old ones in my 75. I wish I had a video of them pulsing.

Xenia.jpg

Xenia-2-2-05.jpg

Since you asked, there are these pics from the website. A lot of these corals are in MikeC's Softy Tank and this is the same place that he got some of his corals. His tank has become my inspiration tank, even though it is not what the tank started out to be five years ago. Has it been that long? LOL!

Frogspawn
Frogspawn.JPG

Giant Bali Xenia
Giant Bali Xenia.JPG

Green Pipe Organ
Green Pipe Organ.JPG

Purple Candelabra Gorgonian
Purple Candelabra Gorgonian.JPG

Red Mushroom
Red Mushroom.JPG

Red Sponge
Red Sponge.JPG

Tank Raised Red Goniopora
Tank Raised Red Goni.JPG

Tonga Yellow Toadstool - I am hoping the color is similar to the pic.
Tonga Yellow Toadstool.JPG

Tracy Morgan Gorgonian - these get huge and are thick and very frilly.
Tracy Morgan Gorgonian.JPG

There will also be a freebie or two that I don't know what they will be. Sorry for the long post. Retired people tend to be long-winded. ;Happy
I want pipe organ so bad!!
Going to get a frag during our local frag swap this spring.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on lighting today on the 125. I mounted two Kessils on the sides if the canopy with a couple of nifty BioTek articulating mounts I found at Aquarium Specialty. These are really neat for mounting inside of a canopy or to a light rack. Full 360 degree adjustment.

F0BB68B1-8550-4BBA-BBB8-C913680691B3.jpeg
DD3D6E35-979D-4C71-8FD0-D897884BE375.jpeg
6974225E-021D-4885-875C-AE9D41EDB087.jpeg
711C81DA-4D98-4C24-AF04-E851747C2460.jpeg

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I really should start posting my tank updates in my own thread - if I can find it. :) It is nice to keep this thread going with some banter though. We can't let it die now.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I really should start posting my tank updates in my own thread - if I can find it. :) It is nice to keep this thread going with some banter though. We can't let it die now.

I can feel a game of "spam the retired person until he caves in and actually does it" coming on! ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am brand new to saltwater. My son got an 8 gallon bio cube. I know this is too small, but I promised I'd try. I have 1 piece of dead coral for decor and that's it. We hope to have 2 tiny fish and maybe 2 shrimp. We also like hermit crabs. What equipment, substrate would you guys suggest? I'd like to use easy (forgiving) live macro algae to help balance this tank. Please be kind with responses. I have been called names elsewhere and was referred here to learn.
good choice i promise one rainy day going to read this book start to finish but undercover with no replies

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
your are an amazing multitasker read # 1 jumped to end ,wow i will def read just WOW impressed

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a great trip,safe travels ,fill your pockets .lol ,full house 44,400 i feel honored ,but only bookmarked #25 it's late

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back