Brand New BTA, poss. bleached?

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I purchased a gorgeous pink/tan BTA from my LFS. It's about 5" across and very healthy looking, with big full bubbly tentacles. It acclimated well to my tank, and is currently trying to find a cozy spot to nestle into. I thought I researched plenty before purchasing one, but I just found out that lighter colored anemones don't normally exist? I read about bleached anemones and now I'm panicked that my anemone is dying, despite it looking absolutely fabulous. . Any suggestions or tips? I'm worried! Here's a picture. The pink stringy stuff is plankton that I fed it earlier. HELP!

SDC11862.jpg

Last edited:

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe Anem looks healthy and happy IMO. I don't think you have anything to worry about

Shells

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen a BTA the color of your but your does look very healthy. People will go back and forth on if you should feed them or not. All I can say is with my experience. I inherited this RBTA from a tank buy and really loved the color - however after reading up on it realized it was not suppose to look this way. It was under a 250w MH and I had it for a while looking like this:

Mine was much more bleached then your

Nem2.jpg

After reading and talking with people I then decided that it does need to be feed and stated with small silversides and worked up to eating 1/2 silverside 2x per week. This is what it looks like now:

IMG_0355.jpg

They can live pretty long being bleached. I would recommended keep feeding it and see what it turns out to be.

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news... It's bleached.
Good news... The pics show the tentacles are sticky and capturing food.

Recommendation: Feed it Silversides at least once (Twice is better) a day and give it time.

Difference over a one month period.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a great link for more research.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmdumbeck

Jmdumbeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendation: Feed it Silversides at least once (Twice is better) a day and give it time.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm

Twice daily? Or do you mean twice weekly? Can it really handle being fed that much twice daily? I only have plankton and cyclops now that I feed with a needle-less syringe. I fed him once daily, two days in a row. But they eat and excrete through the same hole, don't they? Anyway, thank you everyone for the advice, keep it coming!

Shells

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jennymkemp,

I feed mine about twice a week - I would recommend you get some silversides, cut them up and start with a small size (about the size of the tip of your pinky) then work up to about a 1/2 of a silverside.

Yes they do eat and excrete from same hole.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need larger meatier food than cyclops and plankton.
I feed mine Rods food on occasion but you can also buy the cubed meatier foods for a variety.

kass

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guy! check out karensroseanemone.com. I bought one like yours and it crawled away and died. I hope you have better luck. Karen says to feed with silversides and be patient. I did get mine to eat 1/2 a silverside but it was just too far gone and I didn't realize it. Best of luck! Debbie

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.5%
Back