Brand New Reefer

damselindistress

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2017
Messages
464
Reaction score
662
Location
Knoxville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome I've already received. I'm an avid aquarist with 5 freshwater tanks and I've finally worked up my nerve to dive into saltwater (see what I did there?

Today I set up my Fluval Evo 13.5 - see pic below. I used 13-14 lbs of Carib Sea Life Rock and 10 lbs of Nature's Ocean live sand. I may have too much rock - any feedback would be appreciated.

I've read several books in preparation for starting this tank but I know I am a total newb and will be making mistakes - I look forward to learning from everyone here.
 
Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome I've already received. I'm an avid aquarist with 5 freshwater tanks and I've finally worked up my nerve to dive into saltwater (see what I did there?

Today I set up my Fluval Evo 13.5 - see pic below. I used 13-14 lbs of Carib Sea Life Rock and 10 lbs of Nature's Ocean live sand. I may have too much rock - any feedback would be appreciated.

I've read several books in preparation for starting this tank but I know I am a total newb and will be making mistakes - I look forward to learning from everyone here.
Like a lot of people here I also started out with fresh water aquariums and still have a 90gal Amazon biotope. Some differences with keeping saltwater of course, but fish are fish in many regards. That said, only advice (in addition to upgrading stock pump to a Sicce 1.0 btw) is be patient and do the research. There are some great resources on this blog including: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

And don't worry, there is no cure for an addiction to saltwater reef keeping, so don't even try, lol.
 
Welcome to the "Salty Side" ;) Enjoy your new tank. Suggest you start a "Build Thread". It's nice to gather all your pictures, thoughts, questions as you go along. Cheers!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new