Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Here is the setup I decided to go with.
Fluval EVO 13.5
subtrate CaribSea Aragonite Fiji pink
AI Prime light
Intank chambers (fliter media, matrix seachem, chemipure blue, purigen)
Cobalt 50W heater
Eheim 1000 return pump
Aqamai hydor powerhead
ATO - still shopping probably the autoaqua micro
DIY Aquaclear 70 HOB refugium - still working on

Starting my second week of the cycle and i'm starting to see the cycle take place using dr tim's all in one with ammonium chloride.

Ammonia .5 ppm
Nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate 20

I'm beginning to think about what the first inhabitants will be and hoping for some insight in the direction I should proceed. Here are a few beginner questions I hope can be answered.

Clean up crew first or a fish and coral first?
Any advice on the size of the Cleanup Crew? I'm thinking (2) nassarius, 3 turbo's, (1) emerald crab, and (2) red legged hermit crabs should be good to start.
My LFS is telling me to put my (2) nemo's in last, should I listen or start with the clownfish? most vids i watch start with the clowns
Other than my (2) clowns, goby and pistol shrimp, how many more fish should I consider to add to my nano?
What size should I make my quarantine tank with my main being a nano.

Can't wait to see something other than rocks display tank.

IMG_20190911_153418.jpg
IMG_20190911_150917.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! That is a great light for your nano. Personally, I would start with the inverts after your cycle is complete and then add the clown pair as your only fish. Not that you don’t have some flexibility, but that is my recommendation and what I have done. Good luck!

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, This is the place to be..make sure your tank has cycled fully before adding any thing, especially fish. Yes I would probably start With CUC (clean up crew) when there are signs of green algae or Diatoms brown powdery algae that’s a sign that your tank has cycled probably, than you could add your clowns for your first fish but bare in mind don’t rush things take your time, having a Nano tank you are restricted to how many fish you can have and they would have to be on the smaller scale. The more fish you have the more fish waste produced, that can make ammonia rise, especially if you overfeed, bad for your fish. Choosing your corals, start with easy soft corals at first, but again don’t rush get a few at a time, in this hobby you tend to want everything in one go, it is addictive and I’ve been there. Make sure you keep you eye on your water parameters weekly and make a record of your readings so that you can compare if something goes awry, also do small water changes weekly. Good luck.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back