Brand of Bleach for Phyto

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that the brand of bleach you use likely doesn't matter as long as there are no surfactants or perfumes in the bleach, but I was wondering what various brands of bleach people tend to use for their culture to get a good idea of what has been sort of "vetted" already.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that the brand of bleach you use likely doesn't matter as long as there are no surfactants or perfumes in the bleach, but I was wondering what various brands of bleach people tend to use for their culture to get a good idea of what has been sort of "vetted" already.
Like for cleaning your culture jars?
Clorox. Any % will do.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clorox, it has the concentration right on the label. I once tried to use off-brand, and discovered it was impossible to determine the actual bleach concentration. The manufacturer data-only said between 1 and 5%.
Only ever Clorox after that.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do people that culture put bleach in the water? i havent heard of that, interesting if they do

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do people that culture put bleach in the water? i havent heard of that, interesting if they do
People who are a little more concerned about maintaining pure cultures tend to use bleach to disinfect the water for a couple hours or more, then add sodium thiosulfate afterwards. This eliminates the worry of bacterial or other contaminants from tapwater or rodiwater.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool makes sense, didnt realize the concern for bacteria after rodi,but i guess any large culture would need more control like this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back