Brandon's IM Nuvo 40 SPS Reef

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Reef 2 Reef tank of the month Brandon. Great looking tank. You are a must follow after seeing. You stated you wished to give yourself a bit more room for growth towards the top and sides. I have just started a 45 gallon and am using only a 360x. I Have just recently placed a few acro pieces near the top of my tank which I have inverted a pedestal rock which has a larger flat spot for them to grow. Do you think this was a mistake? Roughy 5.5 to 6.0 inches from the base to the top water level. I originally thought of this thinking about the 360x and higher par being placed here.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Reef 2 Reef tank of the month Brandon. Great looking tank. You are a must follow after seeing. You stated you wished to give yourself a bit more room for growth towards the top and sides. I have just started a 45 gallon and am using only a 360x. I Have just recently placed a few acro pieces near the top of my tank which I have inverted a pedestal rock which has a larger flat spot for them to grow. Do you think this was a mistake? Roughy 5.5 to 6.0 inches from the base to the top water level. I originally thought of this thinking about the 360x and higher par being placed here.
Thank you! I appreciate it! Here’s the thing with the corals at the top. If the rock is only 6 inches below the surface, and your frag grows to 4-5 inches, now you have a coral blocking your return pumps or getting funny growth. Then you have to decide if you frag it and just have a very short but wide colony, or deal with the issues on the highest branches. Right now I have a green acro up top where the tallest branches are impacting the flow from my returns and at the same time having tissue peeled off and replaced by algae. I also can’t have a powerhead pushing water across the top of the colony. Ideally I would want at least 6-8 inches above a fully grown colony to make sure I can get good flow across the top. So is it a mistake, no. Will it cause issues in the future, yes. Hope that helps! ;Hilarious

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I appreciate it! Here’s the thing with the corals at the top. If the rock is only 6 inches below the surface, and your frag grows to 4-5 inches, now you have a coral blocking your return pumps or getting funny growth. Then you have to decide if you frag it and just have a very short but wide colony, or deal with the issues on the highest branches. Right now I have a green acro up top where the tallest branches are impacting the flow from my returns and at the same time having tissue peeled off and replaced by algae. I also can’t have a powerhead pushing water across the top of the colony. Ideally I would want at least 6-8 inches above a fully grown colony to make sure I can get good flow across the top. So is it a mistake, no. Will it cause issues in the future, yes. Hope that helps! ;Hilarious
Thanks for the reply Brandon, just wanted to give you a visual of what I was working on. So ideally I don’t want my powerheads pushing water over the acros? What might you suggest for pump placement? Thanks again, Nathan.

Attachments

• 1D75D7AE-2035-40D2-8F78-6E778040C75F.jpeg
    1D75D7AE-2035-40D2-8F78-6E778040C75F.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Brandon, just wanted to give you a visual of what I was working on. So ideally I don’t want my powerheads pushing water over the acros? What might you suggest for pump placement? Thanks again, Nathan.
Sorry if I was confusing. You DO want water to flow across your acros, it’s vital to their health. However, the closer they get to the surface, the more difficult I find it to achieve good flow across them. As for placement you’ll need to mess around with it so you get strong chaotic flow for your SPS without it being to direct.

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I was confusing. You DO want water to flow across your acros, it’s vital to their health. However, the closer they get to the surface, the more difficult I find it to achieve good flow across them. As for placement you’ll need to mess around with it so you get strong chaotic flow for your SPS without it being to direct.
Thanks Brandon, these are my first acros, so your advice and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Happy reefing!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’ve got some exciting news! Next Thursday, March 11th at 7PM EST, I will be a guest on Rappin’ with ReefBum! Join us on YouTube to hear Keith and I talk reef! :D
I'm glad you agreed to go on his show and I'm glad he took my suggestion to ask you on the stream! I truly believe that you are a reefing role model and definitely worth following! Your skills definitely show in the tanks you keep! Keep inspiring us!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you agreed to go on his show and I'm glad he took my suggestion to ask you on the stream! I truly believe that you are a reefing role model and definitely worth following! Your skills definitely show in the tanks you keep! Keep inspiring us!
I WAS WONDERING WHO RECOMMENDED ME! Thank you so much for nominating me for the show! It was a lot of fun! I’m very honored and I do my best to share what I’ve learned in this hobby. It means a lot to me to know people are so inspired by my tanks, it’s a great feeling! :D

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back