Branespikin Reefer 250

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I think I saw those dosing containers on Amazon but the reviews complained of a strong odor. Did you notice anything like that?
I got the same containers and after reading those reviews I soaked them in vinegar 70/30 for 24 hours and the odor is now gone

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have been cycling the tank now for 6 days. First time ever cycling a tank. Can someone let me know if im good?! Ill post my results in picture using API test kit

Ph is 8.4
Salinity is 1.023 need to bring it up a bit.
Using AF reef salt. My radions are on during cycle using that coral lab template for lps.
Seems like cyano is forming on rock and sand. Rock is ceramic Aquaroche. I put in a few big rocks from my boys tank and he gave me some if thise marinepure balls like 10 of them in my sump and some ceramic rings to kick start. Also dosing Bio S from AF. This look all good? My skimmer is not running. Should i get that running? What about carbon and gfo? When does that go online?

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed pur ammonia to get it cycling had it up to about 5ppm. Looks like it significantly droppedin a day or 2

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the ammonia zeros redose the ammonia to 2ppm and continue redosing ammonia after it zeros until the tank can go from 2ppm to zero in 24 hours. Then you're safe for a fish. Be patient and go slow.

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the ammonia zeros redose the ammonia to 2ppm and continue redosing ammonia after it zeros until the tank can go from 2ppm to zero in 24 hours. Then you're safe for a fish. Be patient and go slow.
Ok great. Thanks for the info. Im in no rush. This time around im taking the correct approach

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Good call!

Are you going to quarantine your fish?
Good call!

Are you going to quarantine your fish?

I picked up one of these to qt my corals but dont know if i have room for another qt for my fish. I was planning on a pair of some clowns(lightning) a firefish, kole tang not sure what else. Love to have Mandarin and dragonette but no refugium fir pods so dont know how thst will work out. Theres a few reputable lfs here in NYC that i was planning to get fish from. So hoping they are disease free. Maybe i shouls set up a qt for fish too.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then seems like i got to get another tank. I barely got this one in the door with the wife. Guess ill need to setup in the basement.

That's probably the best place for it anyway, mine is in the garage. You need at least ten feet between the QT and DT due to the possibility of aeresole transmission.

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All looking good. When amonia comes to 0 nitrite will spike to maybe 50. Then change 50 % water. Nitrite will be around 20 then. Day after change another 50 % nitrite will drop to 0 and leave it that way week. Check param. and then you are ready. This is how i cycle and never haved any problems. As for algae that you have that is all natural proces.

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so friday i tested tank. Ammonia was zero Nitrite was Zero and Nitrate like 40 or so. Friday i dosed Ammonia again to like 2-3 ppm Saturday morning Ammonia was zeroNitrite was Zero and Nitrate around 20. Is my cycle done? Its been only 8 days! Should i do a waterchange this weekend? Shouldd i dose some more Ammonia? Start running GFO

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i were you i will change 50 % and do not dose amonia anymore. Also will not start using gfo or turn on lights. But thats me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my lights on the whole time. I will do the waterchange this weekend and not hook up the Gfo yet. I need to get new reagents for my hanna checkers to check for phosphates. I guess take it from there

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it driving you, but let the system cycle at least 30 days. Then drop some cleaning crew in to start the bio load.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL. At six weeks I add 4 chromis and they were done in a week and I was rushing then.

Back