OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, copper will remove a lot of oxygen from the tank so it's recommended to have one, not necessary if you have a powerhead agitating the surface of the water
I have one of thise hydro koralia powerheads. So i can use that instead of the sponge filter

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up both my QTs with fresh S/W since my tank was new and I wanted to QT all my fish before introducing to my new system

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up both my QTs with fresh S/W since my tank was new and I wanted to QT all my fish before introducing to my new system
I guess ill do that too. Setup the QT this week and let it cycle. I can use thise ceramic rings i put in my DT to seed it and put it in there for a few weeks. How often do i need to do a waterchange in the QT tank?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess ill do that too. Setup the QT this week and let it cycle. I can use thise ceramic rings i put in my DT to seed it and put it in there for a few weeks. How often do i need to do a waterchange in the QT tank?
It all depends, try biospira, the small bottle will cost you no more than $8 add fish and perform w/c if your nitrite or nitrate goes up. Never had any ammonia spike while using them so just make sure you test your water on a daily basis and be ready to perform some W/C if necessary

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JFYI, on my reefer350, I have added about 12 fish about a months ago, all at once, after QT them and they are all still alive and eating well.
I know I will get flamed for saying this and I apologize in advance to those who have been in this hobby longer than me but just wanted to let it out there that I was also a firm believer of long fishless cycling when I first jumped into this hobby back in 2000
I've set up over 10 tanks since September last year, after taking a long break and have never lost a fish due to cycling issue when using Biospira, please note I am specifically pinpointing a brand as I have tried a few others (Dr. Tim, Stability, Fritz Zyme7)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it time to get a clean up crew? Got some Algea growing on my rock and sand bed. Maybe start running GFO or is this just natural for a new tank. Its 3 weeks old. Ammonia zero. Nitrites zero Nitrates around 20 ppm. PH is a bit low like 7.6. Apex not working today so cant tell actual reading. Salinity lil low too 1.023. Planning on first water change this weekend. Temp 80. Didnt order phosphate reagents for my hanna to check so not sure where that is.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely check phosphate, looks like you are on a cruise control to success.
Where do you buy your corals and fish? You live close to me and yet haven't seen you in any of our lfs lol

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely check phosphate, looks like you are on a cruise control to success.
Where do you buy your corals and fish? You live close to me and yet haven't seen you in any of our lfs lol
Got to pick up these reagents. Ill order tonight. Well i have been out of the game for a while over a year so would not see me at any LFS lately. I got all my stuff from Anthony at Reefe Shoppe in Bronx. Id got to POP Coral in Brooklyn in occassion. Did alot of buying on local forums MR. But my buddy here in Astoria got his own little shop now and has access to some good coral. Hes babysitting a bunch of my coral i was able to salvage from my last tank beforeit crashed. Ill hook you up with him if you want. Where you go?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to pick up these reagents. Ill order tonight. Well i have been out of the game for a while over a year so would not see me at any LFS lately. I got all my stuff from Anthony at Reefe Shoppe in Bronx. Id got to POP Coral in Brooklyn in occassion. Did alot of buying on local forums MR. But my buddy here in Astoria got his own little shop now and has access to some good coral. Hes babysitting a bunch of my coral i was able to salvage from my last tank beforeit crashed. Ill hook you up with him if you want. Where you go?
I go to NewYorkReefAquatics for corals (Calvin) on 162 Street and KHC (Jerry) for my fish on 150 ST... all within 10 min drive

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good man! Get that CUC in yet? Any plans so far in terms of your eventual stocking list?
Thx man!
No clean up crew yet. Did t have the time. Maybe tomorrow if i can. Planning on water change tomorrow. Got an out break of green hair algea. Its growing like crazy. I put phosphate minus in my reactor the other day and decided to keep the lights off for a few days if nothing ill start to scrubs my rocks. Im scared this will take over my tank. Nit really sure about fish yet. Doing my researchh. Prob a pair of light ing clowns. Firefish. Lawnmower goby to keep things clean. Royal gamma. Love mandarins but no fuge so i think ill skip thst. Idk still thinking

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to NewYorkReefAquatics for corals (Calvin) on 162 Street and KHC (Jerry) for my fish on 150 ST... all within 10 min drive
Planning on stopping by Ny reef aquatics tomorrow see if he has some emerald crabs. Get a lik clean up crew going

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some turbos, Nassarius and one emerlad crab. The Nassarius ate 2 of my Turbos the next day. Emerald crab nibbles here and there but nothing major. The few other turbos are grazin on the algea film on the glass not really touching the byropsis. I scrubbed the rock and alot if its gone. Turned my lights out i see its slowly dying. Ill give it another week if its not gone by than im pullin out the rock and peroxide dipping it.

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some turbos, Nassarius and one emerlad crab. The Nassarius ate 2 of my Turbos the next day. Emerald crab nibbles here and there but nothing major. The few other turbos are grazin on the algea film on the glass not really touching the byropsis.

Whoa, did you see the Nass get them? Would have figured the emerald crab would be the killer, the few Nass I have are tiny (even the couple tongans) and couldn't catch the trochus, which are also many times their size so I guess that's good haha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back