Break out box kill switches

ReefZ1lla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I recently ordered a rocker switch kit for my break out box. I’m planning on using one for a kill switch, one for feeding, one for water changes and maybe one for pumps off or lights. Just wondering if anyone has some custom switches they have wired to there break out box. Here’s a pic of what I ordered.

30343DD2-437B-46F3-9B8B-8DB5CE8B1E08.png

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done the kill switch, but I have put a cigarette lighter in a piece of audio gear in one of our racks (And they said it couldn't be done)

June_08.jpg

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toggle switch that turns off my skimmer so that I can empty the cup, and a momentary push button that enables feed mode.

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently ordered a rocker switch kit for my break out box. I’m planning on using one for a kill switch, one for feeding, one for water changes and maybe one for pumps off or lights. Just wondering if anyone has some custom switches they have wired to there break out box. Here’s a pic of what I ordered.

30343DD2-437B-46F3-9B8B-8DB5CE8B1E08.png

I wired up three latching halo switches to a BOB: kill, feed, and water change.

BBC85DE3-4DD5-4686-AAE4-FA9C34B5A39E.jpeg
77FDC460-A297-41F6-83A1-4CABC879D3CD.jpeg

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that looks great I just have kids and they would definitely push them lol. But that what I want to do.
I was originally going to use a toggle kill switch but I chose to use the halo's for consistency sake, but I do have a small bag of those toggle switches with the safety cover. I''m pretty sure they wire up the same way; I noticed that it has a little led on the tip of the toggle. I'll take a look at the pins on the toggle when I get home tonight.

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good do you have to run a power source to connect the light on the toggle switch?

NOTE: I'm not an electrician. I just know what I've researched and wired on my own switch panel

If you want the LED to light up, then you will need a power source; however, I was looking at those toggle switches with the led on the tip and it only has 3 terminals, so I don't think you will be able to add power to the led. I don't think you want to introduce power to the wires that go to the break-out-box. I don't personally know how you would do that with only 3 terminals; I could be wrong, but maybe and electrician can help with this question.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3 prong switch with an LED may be an SPST switch designed to switch the positive wire of a DC circuit.

If there's labels like "power", "load", and "ground", you would connect the positive coming from the power supply to "power", the positive going to your equipment to "load", and "ground" connects to the negative of the power supply.

The switch will leech power from the circuit powering the equipment.

I'm getting lazy. I found low voltage relays from Sonoff that work with Google Assistant so I can manage schedules through the assistant and just say hey Google turn on the aquarium lights.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back