Breakdown - Move - Clean- Add New- Rebuild- Install

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, This is my first tank move - Tank Rebuild so I will do my best to bring everyone along. I was very fortunate to purchase a great tank and sump from a local reef friend. The tank is a Great Lakes aquarium build, Rimless with about 168g water capacity. I would say with tank/sump/fug water capacity should be around 200 gallons. Listed below is most of my build equipment so far and will post new pictures as I progress.
I have been in the hobby for 3 years now, my current set up is a 120g display with a 40g breeder sump and a refugium tank. My 120g set up is SPS / LPS, very nice mix of both.

Equipment List for the new tank:
- Great Lakes rimless tank 48x 36x22in
- 3 sides low Iron glass
- High volume overflow
- Will run a semi bare bottom
- Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer (Royal Exklusiv), Red Dragon pump
- Life reef sump 48L x 13x 14in
- Sump has 3x built in reactors, probe holders, dose hose holders
- Jebao DCP 10000 return pump
- 20g homemade Refugium with baffles
- Jebao DCP4000 pump for Refugium tank
- Ti 300w heater
- Apex Classic via USB cable
- Apex WAV 3x powerheads
- Apex Temp / Salinity probes
- Jebao JP-4 dose pumps
- 2x Ocean revive LED
- Sunbrite Metal Halide 250W 20k Radium
- 36in Truelumen 453nm Blue LED
- ATO tbd on configuration
- 150lbs live rock

My thoughts with the new tank are to set it up in the basement. I currently run my 120g display tank from the living room above to the sump/fug tanks below into the basement.

The picture shown below is the tank before we broke it down in order to move it to my house for future set up.

Tank1.jpg

OP
OP
A_game43

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that at sometime in this hobby we have all had this look on our face or plenty of great ideas in our head, I got this same look months ago when I heard that this tank and system may be on the market soon and then the planning began. I have been running this project through my head and on paper since about Feb 2017 and then the effort of putting a lot in place in order to make this system a success.
I have been a R2R member for awhile now, watching, reading for hours and trying to learn from some really great people to have in this hobby. The chance to get my hands on this larger rimless tank was too good to pass up.

idea.jpg

OP
OP
A_game43

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fun begins: A lot of cleaning of course in order to get everything right before the effort of installing this system.

tank 1.5.jpg

sump clean.jpg

OP
OP
A_game43

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mind the messed up garage, jammed up right now, the tank and stand are big. I cleaned on the sump for about a day and cleaned on the tank for a couple days.

OP
OP
A_game43

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking open space for a very cool 168g rimless Reef tank. What is missing in this picture is a GFCI outlet. Since taking this picture I have added 4 new GFCI outlets and two new 20A breakers to my electric box.

empty space.jpg

OP
OP
A_game43

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 20g Long tank into a refugium, placing baffles inside the tank. The Life Reef sump shown above is 48in long, too long to go inside of the existing cabinet so I will plumb it externally. The Vertex 200 skimmer is too tall as well for the cabinet build.

build.jpg

build 2.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back