BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hebby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Any update on when it will be for sale to the public?

Zekth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Really watching this thread.

giphy.gif

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Do you mean pulp kinda like mixed up coffee grounds if you did not filter them out?

Can you pour it into a clear bottle and see if it settles and looks like this tomorrow?

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
So week 1 update.

It seemed to have killed off a few -- But it definitely didn't kill them all off. This is after two doses, you can see AEFW of all sizes from large to micro.

My infestation is pretty light, and only on half my corals if that. I had what I would consider a false positive, as I've had a few corals completely clean and clear of AEFW on follow up dips.. Then I decided I should use a flashlight to see the corals in brown, which makes bites way more evident. After some searching I found the most bit up coral and dipped it. Lots of AEFW on that particular piece, after having zero on the 3-4 which I've test dipped after the first and second dose.

According to the product, there should have been zero alive by now. All that could be alive are freshly hatched larva less than a day old.

At this point I'm wondering if I continue the treatment, or continue mass dipping in melafix which knocked off the AEFW in literally seconds.

Pictures!
DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
So week 1 update.

It seemed to have killed off a few -- But it definitely didn't kill them all off. This is after two doses, you can see AEFW of all sizes from large to micro.

My infestation is pretty light, and only on half my corals if that. I had what I would consider a false positive, as I've had a few corals completely clean and clear of AEFW on follow up dips.. Then I decided I should use a flashlight to see the corals in brown, which makes bites way more evident. After some searching I found the most bit up coral and dipped it. Lots of AEFW on that particular piece, after having zero on the 3-4 which I've test dipped after the first and second dose.

According to the product, there should have been zero alive by now. All that could be alive are freshly hatched larva less than a day old.

At this point I'm wondering if I continue the treatment, or continue mass dipping in melafix which knocked off the AEFW in literally seconds.

Pictures!
DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg
If you are experimenting to see if this new product truly works, wouldn't it be better just to use the new UWC product and halt all other dips? That way you could determine the true effectiveness of this new product...

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
If you are experimenting to see if this new product truly works, wouldn't it be better just to use the new UWC product and halt all other dips? That way you could determine the true effectiveness of this new product...

Nope. Here's why; According to the product nothing should survive at all after the first treatment. There should be nothing coming off in dip whatsoever, meaning this product did not kill the AEFW.

This is a test to see if the AEFW survived, which they should not have. Yet they did.

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Don't they call for a 21 day treatment? I understand that the recommendation is based on the time for eggs to hatch, but wouldn't it be best to complete the 21 days and then make your conclusions?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Don't they call for a 21 day treatment? I understand that the recommendation is based on the time for eggs to hatch, but wouldn't it be best to complete the 21 days and then make your conclusions?

Nope. Because if there's anything alive, it didn't do what it was supposed to do. If they can survive two large doses two days apart, a single dose once a week won't make a difference.

It seems pretty cut and dry. If they're supposed to die within 24 hours and don't, then the product isn't going to disrupt their breeding cycle whatsoever, and will not stop anything.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nope. Because if there's anything alive, it didn't do what it was supposed to do. If they can survive two large doses two days apart, a single dose once a week won't make a difference.

It seems pretty cut and dry. If they're supposed to die within 24 hours and don't, then the product isn't going to disrupt their breeding cycle whatsoever, and will not stop anything.
Correct. Because those surviving aefw can now lay eggs and start the 21+ day timer over again by laying eggs. (I have seen aefw eggs take 24 days to hatch)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Correct. Because those surviving aefw can now lay eggs and start the 21+ day timer over again by laying eggs. (I have seen aefw eggs take 24 days to hatch)

Exactly.

Although the guy above was talking about conclusions, I have made no conclusion, just week 1 observation. I'll see what happens but having any alive doesn't look promising. If it were to only kill freshly hatched larva for example, then it could be a long term solution in which you wait for the colony to collapse as they age out and die. We shall see!

Maybe dosing instructions were too light.. It did definitely kill some of them.

CoralPassion - Tony B

View Badges
Reaction score
Not brilliant news. Before we condemn this as yet another snake oil product, some stuff that may need looking at:

How the dose is measured/dosing error
Volume of water calculated in system
Interference from equipment/other products used
What type of AEFW we are treating (there’s at least two types)
Lastly we need to know if increasing the dose of the product is safe and a possible solution

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
NICE!!!
Glad to see some advancement in the pest part of the hobby, How well it works is to be determined along with how safe it is in a persons tank.
The reality of this is that every tank is different and most folks love to cut corners on most things in life due to Laziness or Flat out impatient attitudes / lifestyles so this will factor into some of the reviews.
I am in no way claiming the product will or will not work as advertised and I am looking forward to the future with testing in actual home reef tanks and testimony from users of this product.

Now on to the new way of living life... I like to call it the Burger King Generation
Your way - Right Away... ;Facepalm

It’s called process improvement; contrary to old man thinking, newer generations do get smarter by learning from mistakes and making things better. It’s easy to get the perception that people want things faster when the ultimate goal is to always improve. Only an idiot would think that’s a bad thing.

As for dealing with AEFW, those who have large encrusted colonies cant just remove and dip. You’re going to cause so much havoc on an established reef that you’re going to destroy it ripping the rocks out and if you don’t you’re bound to miss eggs. It’s almost impossible to get every egg out of a 300+ gallon system without basically starting over.

It’s easy to be a blowhard and say to remove all frags when you’re rocking a newer build with frags still sitting on plugs. Once encrusted colonies are the majority you’re stuck with what you got.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It’s called process improvement; contrary to old man thinking, newer generations do get smarter by learning from mistakes and making things better. It’s easy to get the perception that people want things faster when the ultimate goal is to always improve. Only an idiot would think that’s a bad thing.

As for dealing with AEFW, those who have large encrusted colonies cant just remove and dip. You’re going to cause so much havoc on an established reef that you’re going to destroy it ripping the rocks out and if you don’t you’re bound to miss eggs. It’s almost impossible to get every egg out of a 300+ gallon system without basically starting over.

It’s easy to be a blowhard and say to remove all frags when you’re rocking a newer build with frags still sitting on plugs. Once encrusted colonies are the majority you’re stuck with what you got.

Yes you will cause havoc ripping up an entire established reef. But that is the ONLY way currently you can rid your tank of these pests. Also, you don't need to find every egg, you just need to remove ALL coral tissue. That means, first you remove the colonies by clipping them at the bases. Then you have to put all 0f those corals in a separate system or on frag racks within your main tank. Then, you MUST remove all live rock and be sure to scrape or kill any remaining tissue from the rock. If you don't do this, the eggs can hatch and continue to feed on the encrusted bases.
Once you have all the tissue off the live rock, you can start weekly dipping of your colonies. If there are any eggs on the live rock, they will hatch and go feed on your colonies that are sitting on frag racks. As long as you remove them weekly and dip, any newly hatched worms will be killed off before they can lay eggs. That's the only way to break their life cycle and get rid of them. I've done it with an established reef in the past. It sucks, some corals won't survive, but it works.

That's how treatment works right now. Unless someone invents a way to kill them in tank without removing them, which so far hasn't been done.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back