BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My tank is quickly becoming acro dominant. It would be nice to know there is a solid option to rid ones tank of AEFW (just in case).

Out of curiosity, do any known species of AEFW eat Stylo? I had a scare last night when I saw what I thought was AEFW on my stylo. I took it out, dipped it in Coral RX, and nothing came off. HUGE sign of relief.

I have never heard of or seen any pests that eat stylos :)

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
I have never heard of or seen any pests that eat stylos :)

Well there we go. It was just me overreacting. No surprise, haha.

As a side note, I've used Vibrant with great success on bubble algae. Looking forward to an option for AEFW (though going to still cross my fingers and hope my dip/observation process is enough ;Nurse)

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Watery, smells of herbs, medium brown color, can't see through liquid. For lack of better terms I'm gonna say it has a lot of pulp lol.

Shake it hard, shake it longer than expected.

What sort of herbs? If you had to say it was similar to a cooking spice or tea, what would you pick?

Btw, what % are the recommended water changes?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So week 1 update.

It seemed to have killed off a few -- But it definitely didn't kill them all off. This is after two doses, you can see AEFW of all sizes from large to micro.

My infestation is pretty light, and only on half my corals if that. I had what I would consider a false positive, as I've had a few corals completely clean and clear of AEFW on follow up dips.. Then I decided I should use a flashlight to see the corals in brown, which makes bites way more evident. After some searching I found the most bit up coral and dipped it. Lots of AEFW on that particular piece, after having zero on the 3-4 which I've test dipped after the first and second dose.

According to the product, there should have been zero alive by now. All that could be alive are freshly hatched larva less than a day old.

At this point I'm wondering if I continue the treatment, or continue mass dipping in melafix which knocked off the AEFW in literally seconds.

Pictures!
DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg
That's disappointing to hear, I think everyone would like you to finish and report the results lol, but that's for us. I have used melafix successfully to eradicate aefw from a frag tank, so I can understand why your eager to go that route. I prefer it over bayer.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s called process improvement; contrary to old man thinking, newer generations do get smarter by learning from mistakes and making things better. It’s easy to get the perception that people want things faster when the ultimate goal is to always improve. Only an idiot would think that’s a bad thing.

As for dealing with AEFW, those who have large encrusted colonies cant just remove and dip. You’re going to cause so much havoc on an established reef that you’re going to destroy it ripping the rocks out and if you don’t you’re bound to miss eggs. It’s almost impossible to get every egg out of a 300+ gallon system without basically starting over.

It’s easy to be a blowhard and say to remove all frags when you’re rocking a newer build with frags still sitting on plugs. Once encrusted colonies are the majority you’re stuck with what you got.

Maybe I'm too ''old'' to understand what correlation your response has with what I posted ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anybody read? They are still tweaking things and testing. Do yall want them to release it if they are unsure it works 100%?

That's a waste of money for everyone.
Actually, I think many reefers would jump at the product based on the "unsuccessful" test results. I understand why people would want it released. If a reef safe product came to market that would reduce AEFW infestations by over 50% I think people would jump at it. This has shown to do at least that, and probably more.

Otherwise, I do agree, this seems to be in a very good place. If my coral were being wracked by AEFW I likely wouldn't be patient either. Let's hope they can nail down why 100% eradication in 24 hours wasn't achieved and see how quickly they can adjust.

woodson24

View Badges
Reaction score
Just finished up my second treatment, I am treating a 225 gallon system but using a 300 gallon dose. I have noticed adults and baby AEFW floating around that appear to be dead. I have also noticed more polyp extension in my sps. My LPS as stated in other post close up after treatment but return to normal after a few hours. Fish, inverts have not been affected. I am going to stay at the 300 gallon dose and see how it does at the end of the treatments. I will pull a few frags after the first week is completed and dip them to see if any are still attached. Thanks to UWC it definitely is killing them which is better than it was a week ago before treatment.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Actually, I think many reefers would jump at the product based on the "unsuccessful" test results. I understand why people would want it released. If a reef safe product came to market that would reduce AEFW infestations by over 50% I think people would jump at it. This has shown to do at least that, and probably more.

Otherwise, I do agree, this seems to be in a very good place. If my coral were being wracked by AEFW I likely wouldn't be patient either. Let's hope they can nail down why 100% eradication in 24 hours wasn't achieved and see how quickly they can adjust.

Their post made it sound successful not unsuccessful. They do or they do not? why start a thread if you are not going to give details or it was unsuccessful.

Also 100 percent safe but their adjusting dosage? I am just a little confused.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Their post made it sound successful not unsuccessful. They do or they do not? why start a thread if you are not going to give details or it was unsuccessful.

I get the confusion. My guess is that UWC wanted to make the announcement prior to sending out the samples for user trials. Much easier to get ahead of it this way than to have participants sign NDA's.

I'm not sure what can be given in the way of details. Most of UWC's other products are bacterial related which cannot be patented. The only protection he may have is to keep the product contents secret. I'm guessing we will know more on this front fairly soon but I do expect the active ingredient to be listed as something generic. If it is chemical in nature, and can be patented, we may get more info.

The testing @Rakie did has shown that some AEFW survived after 2 treatments which shouldn't have happened. He hasn't tested to see if the full 21 day treatment would be effective. He has reported it to be reef safe so far and that it has killed at least "some" AEFW. I think UWC expected this to be more of a "proof that it works" than a field trial, I feel it still looks promising. It is only a failure in that the initial recommended dosing may not be 100% effective against every strain of AEFW. Now it needs to be evaluated if increasing the dosage will be both effective and still be reef safe.

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
I really can't think of any other medication or treatment that is 100% effective after only 1 dose. In any population, there will always be outliers who are naturally resistant to a given treatment. Give it time and we'll figure out the most effective reef safe dosage and required length of treatment.

I think it's important to acknowledge the fact that we actually appear to have a reef safe treatment for AEFW that is somewhat effective. Think about it, last month we had no such treatments available. In other words, we are making progress.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
First and Formost, I had two small colonies RTN. This could be from a number of things, but all that I have changed was adding the AEFW treatment. This is why I stopped updating, frankly, haven't been on and been a little bummed out lol. Such is the hobby.

Thankfully the two RTN'd colonies were basic stuff that I'm not too worried about.

The testing @Rakie did has shown that some AEFW survived after 2 treatments which shouldn't have happened. He hasn't tested to see if the full 21 day treatment would be effective..

I really can't think of any other medication or treatment that is 100% effective after only 1 dose. In any population, there will always be outliers who are naturally resistant to a given treatment.

Here's the problem people seem to not grap (Although I think you understand @Brew12)

The "21 day treatment" cannot be effective unless all AEFW die. There can be ZERO surviving AEFW or the 21 day treatment is completely inefficacious. There is no wiggle room here, there is no if's, and's, or but's. If it doesn't kill everything in one dose, it will not be a working program.

But Why? Because the 21 days is meant to kill all freshly hatched AEFW. If you have AEFW that survive the initial dose, they will be alive and laying eggs, the medication will be completely out of the system via carbon and water changes and new AEFW will be hatching AFTER the 21 day mark... Which is why it wont work.

The only way it's considered a 21 day treatment is if ALL aefw are killed. Or else it's not a treatment.

It's important to note, the first week you do a DOUBLE DOSE. Meaning I did 2 treatments in 3 days and the two treatments didn't kill the majority of them. It did seem to take out the babies. But so will overdosing wormwood, and FW Stop.

Now if it were to kill freshly hatched AEFW only, and the idea was keep dosing until all the adults die of old age (like 5 weeks I think?) then that could very well be a good treatment. But that's not how this treatment was designed, or advertised.

Last edited:

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

It's very simple. UWC, a trusted company that makes an already amazing/proven product (Vibrant) makes a post that they eradicated flatworms with their in house tests. They made a passionate post showing their findings and offered test trials to members of this forum.

That's their first win, they have passion and are offering trials to this forum. A+
First test results showed that flatworms were dying, polyp extension increased but not totally dead; they have already made it further than anyone ever has because they killed AEFW IN TANK without other losses. A++
They continue to show progress and are allowing us early access when they could have kept this quiet and done internal testing with strict NDA. A++

Sorry to sound overly excited but in my opinion, a working in tank AEFW treatment is like the moon landing of our hobby. UWC needs all the support in the world to make this a reality. AEFW is the kind of infection that causes reefers to leave this hobby and it can hit us at any time; even with strict QT all it takes is 1 egg the human eye couldn't see and you're going to have an infestation. Not only is the end result $1000's of dollars of SPS corals, it's lots of lost time, passion and money. Imagine the heartache of waking up to your beautiful SPS dreamland only to see it slowly die over time. It's absolute torture.

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
It's very simple. UWC, a trusted company that makes an already amazing/proven product (Vibrant) makes a post that they eradicated flatworms with their in house tests. They made a passionate post showing their findings and offered test trials to members of this forum.

That's their first win, they have passion and are offering trials to this forum. A+
First test results showed that flatworms were dying, polyp extension increased but not totally dead; they have already made it further than anyone ever has because they killed AEFW IN TANK without other losses. A++
They continue to show progress and are allowing us early access when they could have kept this quiet and done internal testing with strict NDA. A++

Sorry to sound overly excited but in my opinion, a working in tank AEFW treatment is like the moon landing of our hobby. UWC needs all the support in the world to make this a reality. AEFW is the kind of infection that causes reefers to leave this hobby and it can hit us at any time; even with strict QT all it takes is 1 egg the human eye couldn't see and you're going to have an infestation. Not only is the end result $1000's of dollars of SPS corals, it's lots of lost time, passion and money. Imagine the heartache of waking up to your beautiful SPS dreamland only to see it slowly die over time. It's absolute torture.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Some of you guys on here act like UWC is a multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical company with a huge R&D department. I bet we'd all be extremely surprised to see what these guys are working with and where they work.

Amazing we are even talking about a potential in tank treatment for AEFW.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%

Back