BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If there are any present, I would run the course of the full treatment :)

Without saying too much, it basically paralyzes the flatworms nervous system :)

3aeb47d2de1e68d112648411a602d659.jpg
113055e3d37def66b6e2efec1af15fe0.jpg
first dose went in.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Awesome, looking forward to your review. Such a beautiful tank :)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
If there are any present, I would run the course of the full treatment :)

This is fantastic, and if it does what you think it does, this "Purge" stuff is worth its weight in gold to those dealing with AEFW infestations in large tanks!

Given how quickly AEFW reproduce, I worry that they might quickly evolve resistance to Purge. As an example, the median time that it takes insects to evolve resistance to new insecticides is only 66 generations. What would that be for flatworms? About 4 years?

Thus, you should consider putting a warning on the label, similar to what we put on antibiotics for human use.
Something like, "Please always complete the full course of treatment!" Just like someone who doesn't finish their full course of antibiotics, and leaves mildly resistant bacteria behind in their body, not completing a sufficient Purge treatment on a tank would kill off the most susceptible AEFW variants, but could leave mildly resistant worms behind. If the remaining worms persisted undetected and reproduced, eventually, multiple resistant genes could find themselves in the same worm variant, and they could be resistant to "Purge."

The possibility of the evolution of resistance to the treatment would argue for always using as HIGH a concentration as the system could tolerate in treatments, and always performing the full course of treatment (whatever that is determined to be.)

I just ordered 2 bottles, and I can't wait to try them out.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC should get a Noble Prize for this
I'm going to hold off recommending him for one of those until he comes out with an additive that makes a fish tank 2 feet longer. ;):p

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have looked through most of this thread and haven’t seen anyone mention, “Salifert’s Flatworm Exit”, I have killed a certain peach colored flatworm that seems to love to eat orange Yuma ricordia mushrooms with this product. Does Flatworm Exit not work for AEFW treatment?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I have looked through most of this thread and haven’t seen anyone mention, “Salifert’s Flatworm Exit”, I have killed a certain peach colored flatworm that seems to love to eat orange Yuma ricordia mushrooms with this product. Does Flatworm Exit not work for AEFW treatment?
My understanding is that at very high concentrations (20x-40x manufacturer recommendations) that it will kill AEFW but it is not reef safe at those levels.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC should get a Noble Prize for this

No prize needed. Just happy we can rid these things out of our hobby :)

I'm going to hold off recommending him for one of those until he comes out with an additive that makes a fish tank 2 feet longer. ;):p

Ha! Thanks for the chuckle :)

My understanding is that at very high concentrations (20x-40x manufacturer recommendations) that it will kill AEFW but it is not reef safe at those levels.

That is correct :)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Update from @Highgrade this morning :)

“Good morning. Thanks for the follow up. Everything has been going great. No issues what so ever and no AEFW/Eggs present. Corals and other livestock is thriving. Going on the 4th week of treatment. Figured I run another 2 treatments just to be safe. I'll keep you posted.

As for the MENs and Polyclads no sign of those guys either.”

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC
I got your products.
Do I have to turn off skimmer for all time during the treatment? Or just few hours after the dosing?

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score

That's great - so this is prazipro then?

Any studies or user results with a system that ALREADY has AEFW or is this a dip for prevention?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC
I got your products.
Do I have to turn off skimmer for all time during the treatment? Or just few hours after the dosing?

I would leave it off for a minimum of 48 hrs :)

That's great - so this is prazipro then?

Any studies or user results with a system that ALREADY has AEFW or is this a dip for prevention?

Ah no, not even close.

Read through the last 5-10 pages of this thread, there are people using the in tank treatment and documenting now :)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Another update from a anonymous user on these boards :)

“Things seem to be going well! Did a large water change because Im starting to get some algae since the skimmer has to be off during this process. At any point can I fire it up or is it safer to leave it be?”

We have asked a few people to remove a coral or two if possible after 36-48 hours to give them a dip to verify there are no flatworms present. Same user as above reply.

“The pieces that I have pulled seem to be good to go!”

We are still hearing daily that after the second dose, people are reporting that they cannot find eggs. If this trend continues, we may be able to cut the length of treatment time in half. Time will tell :)

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wonder if this will kill flukes as well? Any idea, Jeff?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back