Breeding Clownfish?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got a 16 year old ultra established tank from a buddy who retired from the hobby. I wanted to breed some kind of shrimp but read they are difficult to breed in captivity. I am trying to create a sustainable live food source for my sharks and from what I've read Clownfish are the easiest to breed in captivity (sorry if this offends you but what do you think happens in the wild). So I am curious what the best way to go about this would be. Should I just buy one mated pair or buy like 20 common clowns and let nature take it's course?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 16 year old ultra established tank from a buddy who retired from the hobby. I wanted to breed some kind of shrimp but read they are difficult to breed in captivity. I am trying to create a sustainable live food source for my sharks and from what I've read Clownfish are the easiest to breed in captivity (sorry if this offends you but what do you think happens in the wild). So I am curious what the best way to go about this would be. Should I just buy one mated pair or buy like 20 common clowns and let nature take it's course?
I can’t speak too much for the clownfish side of this, but, looking at what professional clownfish breeders do to rear them ,and knowing a little about clownfish aggression, I’d guess you’d want separate tanks for each mated pair of clowns. Also, if you’re looking to try and use the baby clowns as a primary food source for your sharks, then you’ll need a lot more than just one mated pair.

As far as the shrimp go, there are actually a few species that aren’t too difficult to raise. Potentially the easiest would be Palaemonetes paludosus, as the larvae don’t need fed to undergo metamorphosis. However - from what I’ve read - these guys die within four days of exposure to salinities above 30ppt, and the eggs need 0-5ppt salinity to hatch (freshwater). Once they’ve gone through metamorphosis, most of them should be able to handle up to 30ppt salinity, though I’d suggest keeping it below 27-28ppt to maximize survival. If you’re looking for some shrimp that can be reared at full marine salinity (35ppt), then you can use Palaemonetes pugio or Palaemonetes vulgaris (see the quote below), and these guys should actually produce a lot more larvae then P. paludosus. The guide linked below lists a few other species you can try too (Lysmata spp., Palaemon elegans., and Thor amboiensis specifically, but the guide should be able to apply more generally too).
Hey everyone!
TLDR summary at bottom.
I've seen a few people on here ask about how to culture marine ghost/grass shrimp species in their tanks, and the responses I've seen have ranged from it's not possible, to use Google Scholar, to you just add them and they breed. Knowing that Ghost/Grass Shrimp (Palaemonetes spp.) are important feeders in the hobby (especially for predator tanks), I thought I would just simplify what my research has shown me on the matter. Keep in mind, most of the research I could fine that was done on actually culturing these guys is from 1980 or earlier - most current research I found has been on the effects of different metals/toxins on the survival of the larvae/adults.

1)You absolutely can culture some of the Palaemonetes species in your tank - species like P. pugio (which Rusalty tells you on their page that they keep at 1.022-1.025 salinty to breed) and P. vulgaris are some of the most common for this. There are a few freshwater species that would not be able to survive/reproduce under marine conditions, but there are some that can. Supposedly (and believably), most of these species have higher rates of fecundity/larval survival in brackish conditions (~"17-23%" - actually 17-23 ppt or 1.7%-2.3% salinity) rather than full marine, but you can (and should) still be able to get a good birth rate and survival rate in full marine conditions.

2)They are actually relatively easy to breed, and you only need to culture Artemia to rear a good number of the larvae to maturity. The young eat the Artemia nauplii. I've seen survival rates for just Artemia fed ghost shrimp range from just under 50% up to about 60%. Under brackish conditions (including conditions that weren't brackish enough to be ideal) and fed just freeze-dried squid, about 27% survived. Fed just beef heart or mullet roe, about 1.7% survived. They're really not terribly picky comparatively, so just offer some Artemia nauplii and any other small feeds you feel like offering and they should do fine.

3)Raising the temperature to mimic their natural breeding season should be able to induce spawning (the shrimp are mature after 1 1/2-2 months). 25-30C (77-86F) seems to be the best range. In theory, the females should carry the most eggs at ~30C, but for obvious reasons, this temperature might be too high for your tank. I'm not sure how big of a change in temp would be required, but I'd imagine 75-77 (or 77-80) would be enough.

4)Exposing the broodstock (the parent shrimp) to UVA (315-400nm) increased egg production drastically "(>4-fold)" over 50 days.

5)Depending on how many eggs your shrimp lay (and the quality of your Artemia species), you should (theoretically) get anywhere from ~50-250 larvae surviving to maturity per female broodstock shrimp.

TLDR; Palaemonetes pugio and P. vulgaris. Raising the temp a little should trigger spawning. 77-86F seems to be the ideal temp range for breeding/rearing. Brackish salinity (~17-23 ppt) is probably best, but full marine (35 ppt) works too. Feed them Artemia nauplii and you should have decent rates of survival. Using a UVA (315-400nm) light should drastically increase egg production.

Hope this helps!
(P.s. I do have sources for this info if you want to see them).

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can’t speak too much for the clownfish side of this, but, looking at what professional clownfish breeders do to rear them ,and knowing a little about clownfish aggression, I’d guess you’d want separate tanks for each mated pair of clowns. Also, if you’re looking to try and use the baby clowns as a primary food source for your sharks, then you’ll need a lot more than just one mated pair.

As far as the shrimp go, there are actually a few species that aren’t too difficult to raise. Potentially the easiest would be Palaemonetes paludosus, as the larvae don’t need fed to undergo metamorphosis. However - from what I’ve read - these guys die within four days of exposure to salinities above 30ppt, and the eggs need 0-5ppt salinity to hatch (freshwater). Once they’ve gone through metamorphosis, most of them should be able to handle up to 30ppt salinity, though I’d suggest keeping it below 27-28ppt to maximize survival. If you’re looking for some shrimp that can be reared at full marine salinity (35ppt), then you can use Palaemonetes pugio or Palaemonetes vulgaris (see the quote below), and these guys should actually produce a lot more larvae then P. paludosus. The guide linked below lists a few other species you can try too (Lysmata spp., Palaemon elegans., and Thor amboiensis specifically, but the guide should be able to apply more generally too).

Thanks for the information. Definitely not the primary food source for my sharks just something to keep their hunt instinct alive and increase activity. I'll look into that thread too thanks.

Ilikefishtheyarecool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Definitely not the primary food source for my sharks just something to keep their hunt instinct alive and increase activity. I'll look into that thread too thanks.
I hope you didn’t end up feeding poor baby clowns to a shark

vinvinaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you didn’t end up feeding poor baby clowns to a shark
1671183009908.png

LOL...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you just sell em tho for profit
A lot of places these days don’t need more clownfish to sell, as they’re one of the most commonly bred fish in the hobby, so some stores actually decline taking baby clowns even for free (it would cost them money to feed/maintain and they wouldn’t have enough customers to sell them all to). Plus, a lot of people find them to be more work than they’re worth monetarily.

Hthoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oreochromis niloticus is fast as mice on breeding.
they are a freshwater fish, but would live long enough till your pet's jaw.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back