Breeding Clowns

What is the best type of Clownfish to breed?

• Total voters

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to get into breeding clowns in the next few years. What is the basic set up that I'd need to Raise The fry? About(relatively) how much would you say it is for a whole set up(excluding rotifiers and other foods for the various stages). What would be my best bet for a mated pair. black Ocellaris? Snowflake? picasso? I'm looking to figure out which type of clownfish the market is in and how much Money I'll need to save up.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard there aren't a lot of breeding black ocellaris around, is that not still the case? My old LFS used to have a breeding pair, and he took me to the back to see his little 5 gal tank he had them in. There were about 20 tiny little black clowns swimming around together, coolest thing I've seen.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to be able to breed any type of clowns, wether they be black, or the pics, or snowflakes, anything. LOL. Heard about some locals who used breed some oce clowns, but think that was before I started reefing. :too_sad:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thats one of my long term projects. I hope that my premium picassos spawn so I can try to raise them. However, I wouldn't care what fish spawned in my tank, it was be a great challenge and learning experience.

Good luck to the OP, do you have any pairs that you are starting off with? Or are you going to buy strictly for breeding?

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably gonna buy strictly for breeding. I have an EXTREMELY great(although a bit overpriced) Lfs and I know one of the guys there SUPER well so If I want a breeding Pair I'm gonna ask him. My Lfs actually has a breeding pair of Black Ocellaris. They had on the tank the time the eggs hatched and where laid in a white Marker pain thingy and they had a small 10g tank with all the little fry swimming around. Thats kinda how I got interested in breeding clowns.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just tryin to figure out how much $$$$ I'll need to save up in order to start this thing.

I guess it depends on how many pairs you want. You can use smaller tanks to hold the clowns, or buy a bigger tank thats sectioned off for different pairs, something thats built like a tank you'd see at the LFS, with colored baffles in between.

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was just gonna go with one pair of picassos? snowcassos? Snowlfakes? or Black Ocellaris? One of those..... Might get bigger but I dont know right now. I have an old 10g fresh water tank That I'm gonna wash out so That will hold the fry right? Just need the equipment. Got a practically empty basement. And a whole section is devoted to the 330g tank. So I could put it ove in the Storage part where the equipment is. Know any good sites to buy books about breeding? a LOT of the ones I looked at are ridiculously priced.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people using 10 gal tanks before, painted black on all sides.

As for books, I've heard the Clownfishes book is the best, but its no longer being published, so it goes for very high prices now.

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my lfs had almost the exact same tank I have. So I figured its gotta work. And ya I saw one listed for like $100!!!No way in heck I'm paying that much for a gd book! I could get another nem for that much. So I'll need...... 30gtank for broodstock. Pot? Macroalgae? I'm just trying to compile a shopping list and look for used stuff.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to help you with a shopping list, but I haven't gotten that far into yet, mostly cause I'm waiting to see if mine will spawn. Read around the forums and I'll sure there are answers posted somewhere already :)

Good luck with the breeding, and let us know how it goes.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Actually finding a current breeding pair isn't so easy from what I've seen. Keep an eye out for the Livestock selling and such if you're local people can't find any.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, esp if they claim they are a breeding pair and currently spawning. If you don't have the facilities to keep them though, I'd wait.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait like BTK said, until you have the proper facilities to maintain them and keep them happy and spawning.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh!I need to write a book on clownfish breeding.

There is to much for me to type about clownfish breeding,if you want to,PM me,and I will PM you my number and you can call me,there is just WAY to much for me to type,and for me to type wrong.

Thanks

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back