Breeding Gold Stripe

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of Misbar Gold Stripe Maroons that are laying eggs and I wondered what the smallest tank recommended to keep this pair of clowns in?

I want to be able to access the eggs easy and keep the pair away from other fish.

Thanks.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that a 29 gal would work fine for them. Or a large biocube.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks!

A 20 long I already have so sweet! :)

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any questions or just want to get some good info, This is the best breeding resource on the net right now. http://www.marinebreeder.org/
Matt, one of the founders, is a great guy and a friend of mine. I'm trying to get him to start posting over here.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I wish he would! That is a great site. I have posted over there before. I wonder if he would want to do a banner swap? :)

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish he would! That is a great site. I have posted over there before. I wonder if he would want to do a banner swap? :)

That would be great...both sites have a ton of info. Matt is a nice guy...he just gave a presentation about Filefish at our CMAS swap...I was selling tickets at the door, so I couldn't catch the whole thing, but what I did hear was fascinating.

I am trying to breed Scissortail Gobies...my first mated pair met a sad demise when I went on vacation. I was just able to get a second mated pair....they are doing well. Share the same cubby hole, just not making the dawn runs yet.

NauticaC4

Baby Fish Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why take them out. Use a tile for them to lay on and you can pull them when your ready. Maroons are like jackrabbitts with 18 other fish in the tank. I simply pull the tile the night the eggs hatch. The proper feeding for a breeding pair is going to serious foul up 20 gallons of water in a hurry. Plus moving them you run the risk that they'll quit laying.

cwbanded74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what my cousin has been doing for his clowns that are laying eggs. He has been using a small ceramic flower pot. The clown fish are in a 20L with just some pieces of live rock and a small flower pot. The life rock is around the flower pot.

There would be a 15 gal tank off to the side with some regular water and a heater to keep the water temprature right and in side that tank would be a 5 gal tank with water out of the parents tank for the eggs and filled to the black line(black trim). The flower pot would have the eggs in it. To keep the eggs fan'd like the clown would do. He used a aqua lift pump and use it on the eggs to keep them moving to avoid any kind of fungus.

So on the night of the hatch, all of the lights are out and then he would start feeding them rotifer's for 4 to 5 days then start feeding them baby brine shrimp for about 4 days then going into very fine flake food, smaller then a grain of salt. Once the fish get past the 14th day(metomorphis stage) you continue to feed them with the very fine flake food.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back