Breeding Rack for Clown Fish.

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am thinking of starting a breeding rack for clownfish.

I will have a bunch of 10 gallon and 20 gallon long tanks that will set up in the rack.

I want to plumb all the clownfish tanks together so they can share a sump.
I will keep the fry tanks and grow out tanks not plumbed to the system.

So 2 questions.

1. What size overflow should I drill into the tank? 3/4?
2. Can I plumb my grow out tank into the main sump?

Mcole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On question one I would say to drill it between 1" and 3/4" I would use 10 gallon tanks (that is indeed what I am using) clownfish do not need to much space. On your second question do not plumb the grow out and the broodstock together. Baby clownfish create large amounts of waste. They can survive bad water quality for a couple of days at a time as long they are fed, but the parents can not. (although they can survive, do not constantly keep them in that state) Juvenile clowns will also create waste, and need to be on their own system.

OP
OP
KSReefing

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On question one I would say to drill it between 1" and 3/4" I would use 10 gallon tanks (that is indeed what I am using) clownfish do not need to much space. On your second question do not plumb the grow out and the broodstock together. Baby clownfish create large amounts of waste. They can survive bad water quality for a couple of days at a time as long they are fed, but the parents can not. (although they can survive, do not constantly keep them in that state) Juvenile clowns will also create waste, and need to be on their own system.
I appreciate the response!

pandagobyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack thread but can people post pictures of there breeding setups and plumbing? Learned a lot from this thread already.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both 3/4" and 1" they will both work fine but I prefer the 1" for more flow.
Most breeders prefer separate systems for better water quality control in the different systems and also if something goes wrong they don't lose everything.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back