OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a lot done on the tank lately but still have so much more to do. The next big project is to bring my lights around 5" toward the front of the tank. I either need to change their mounts or put a counterweight on the back of the new fixture frame. I doubt that will happen this weekend. I did get everything reprogrammed and love the way the tank looks with the change. It remains to be seen if the coral like it.

Since I no longer have the T5's I'm taking advantage of some fun stuff the Mitras can do. I turned on the cloud feature so every hour or two a "cloud" passes across my tank from right to left. I also turned on storms so I can get a 5 minute thunder storm at random times. Not sure if I will leave that on, but wanted to see it.

Ok.... so how about some pictures?

This is still the best growing acro in my system. Nothing special, but it's doing great.
DSC_0009.jpg

Now that he isn't getting nipped or stuck in a box, he is doing much better. Some of his colors have faded which I hope is due to him being closed up so much. Will see if it comes back. Still looks great.
DSC_0005.jpg

And, here is the latest addition. Absolutely as vivid as advertised. Nothing short of brilliant.

DSC_0004.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in coralline algae updates after this change is made. I have never had much if any coralline on my rock work and thought maybe it is the lack of T5 lighting.
You ask, and we are going to find out. No more T5's. Rock added to my system a week ago so no coraline at all. Let's see if/how long it takes to turn purple. My guess is a 4 to 6 weeks. Here is the starting point.
DSC_0006.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hoping someone out there might comment on this. Before I made my most recent change to lighting this guy was solid purple. Now, the top is almost completely white. It is under less PAR now so I can't imagine that it is related to too much light. The bright white makes it a little harder to capture, but this is actually close to what I see in the tank. Just a little less "glow".

Thoughts?
DSC_0003-3.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a lot done on the tank lately but still have so much more to do. The next big project is to bring my lights around 5" toward the front of the tank. I either need to change their mounts or put a counterweight on the back of the new fixture frame. I doubt that will happen this weekend. I did get everything reprogrammed and love the way the tank looks with the change. It remains to be seen if the coral like it.

Since I no longer have the T5's I'm taking advantage of some fun stuff the Mitras can do. I turned on the cloud feature so every hour or two a "cloud" passes across my tank from right to left. I also turned on storms so I can get a 5 minute thunder storm at random times. Not sure if I will leave that on, but wanted to see it.

Ok.... so how about some pictures?

This is still the best growing acro in my system. Nothing special, but it's doing great.
DSC_0009.jpg

Now that he isn't getting nipped or stuck in a box, he is doing much better. Some of his colors have faded which I hope is due to him being closed up so much. Will see if it comes back. Still looks great.
DSC_0005.jpg

And, here is the latest addition. Absolutely as vivid as advertised. Nothing short of brilliant.

DSC_0004.jpg
About the thunderstorm function. I got an alarm earlier this summer and had to go to the Aquarium quit late at night. All the lights were out in the tanks and it can be a bit creepy to be alone at the museum, specially at night :oops:
I had a flashlight and was trying to find what was causing a power failure on one channel. Suddenly there where lightning flashes and my heart almost stopped. Took me a minute to figure out, we had two new Hydra LEDs over that tank, and I had forgotten to turn off the thunderstorm simulation :D
So now all thunderstorms are off on our LEDs, just to not scare the $*+^ out of me again.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the thunderstorm function. I got an alarm earlier this summer and had to go to the Aquarium quit late at night. All the lights were out in the tanks and it can be a bit creepy to be alone at the museum, specially at night :oops:
I had a flashlight and was trying to find what was causing a power failure on one channel. Suddenly there where lightning flashes and my heart almost stopped. Took me a minute to figure out, we had two new Hydra LEDs over that tank, and I had forgotten to turn off the thunderstorm simulation :D
So now all thunderstorms are off on our LEDs, just to not scare the $*+^ out of me again.
Thanks for that! I better let my wife and son know that I turned this on so if they don't panic if they see the lights flashing!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any picture with the blue tang takes a ton of manipulation to get it to look right. He looks metallic in all the photo's. Very shiny fish!

DSC_0006-2.jpg

This guy, not so much.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any picture with the blue tang takes a ton of manipulation to get it to look right. He looks metallic in all the photo's. Very shiny fish!

DSC_0006-2.jpg

This guy, not so much.

DSC_0005-2.jpg
Love those Convict tangs! Wanted a school, but they mostly chase each other around ;Shifty

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love those Convict tangs! Wanted a school, but they mostly chase each other around ;Shifty
Mine is a model citizen and it always swimming to the front of the tank so is very easy to photograph.

With the size systems you run I am surprised you couldn't keep a small school of them. Maybe in the new system...

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hoping someone out there might comment on this. Before I made my most recent change to lighting this guy was solid purple. Now, the top is almost completely white. It is under less PAR now so I can't imagine that it is related to too much light. The bright white makes it a little harder to capture, but this is actually close to what I see in the tank. Just a little less "glow".

Thoughts?
DSC_0003-3.jpg
Might be light. LED is hard to understand without PAR meter, especially with multiple fixtures.
Do you have a better picture? Is it only the flesh that is affected or is also the coral structure?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the convict tangs.
Last holiday I went diving in Philippines and i saw a huge shoal of them arriving at an area with algae which they all attacked. 2 minutes later they all moved on to look for a next grazing area.
It made me realize that such a natural behaviour is difficult to mimic in a reef tank and made them less suitable for my tank.
Still, they remain one of my favourites.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be light. LED is hard to understand without PAR meter, especially with multiple fixtures.
Do you have a better picture? Is it only the flesh that is affected or is also the coral structure?
The odd thing is that this started when I cut back on my red lighting with my LED's so PAR went down. Now that I have changed up my fixtures everything is different. I'll get some new PAR readings this afternoon if today goes as planned.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston, we have a problem.

My hippo tang has an issue by its tail. Looks like an orange stinger with the fishes color missing around it. One bigger spot and one small spot. Definitely was not there yesterday. I'l have to get a pic but I have no idea what it could be right now.

Edited to add photo's. Created a post in the fish disease section.
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently fish problems even make my girls sad. :oops: More likely they were just relaxing on the patio with me this morning while I was drinking my coffee. :rolleyes:
DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0006-3.jpg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC_0006-2.jpg

This guy, not so much.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Terrifc pics, I love blue tangs!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrifc pics, I love blue tangs!
Thank you! I've become very attached to him.

As a general note, his tale is healing incredibly fast. I'm not sure what to think. I'll get another picture to post. Never seen anything like this.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back