OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you manage to keep consistent water level? Water evaporation is typically inconsistent based in humidity and perhaps drier days.
I use an ATO for that. I evaporate much more than the 1.4L of kalk I dose each day. That is the main reason I don't use Kalk in my ATO. The evaporation rate is too inconsistent.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to get some pictures. Still lots of floaties in the water....

It's really hard to capture just how much growth I've had lately.
DSC_0061.jpg

How about a photo processing oddity...

This is what the coral should look like.
DSC_0063.jpg

Tried getting a close up and the flash went off. Did the auto processing and this is what it looked like with no further manipulation on my part. Pretty crazy.
DSC_0067.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give it less light and / or flow, that is a seriously ****** of favia?
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to move it. It's firmly attached to the rock. It actually looks healthy, just lacks structure. I'm just going to leave it and see what happens, if nothing else it is a curiousity.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to move it. It's firmly attached to the rock. It actually looks healthy, just lacks structure. I'm just going to leave it and see what happens, if nothing else it is a curiousity.
Oh yeah, don’t touch that thing. It makes me think, Salvador Dali “persistence of time”. Very interesting

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten very little sleep lately because of this cough I can't shake. It's given me way too much time to think about stuff that has no importance whatsoever. My latest reefing thought...

How big does an acro need to get before it's a colony? I'm comfortable calling some of my zoas and monti caps. I feel like my larger purple stag and forestfire digi are also colonies. I look at a lot of my tabling/bushy acros and some are 6 to 8 inches across. I don't feel like they are at the point of being a colony yet. Then I see vendors labeling 3" frags with a few branches as mini-colonies.

Of course, none of this really matters... just a random thought.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten very little sleep lately because of this cough I can't shake. It's given me way too much time to think about stuff that has no importance whatsoever. My latest reefing thought...

How big does an acro need to get before it's a colony? I'm comfortable calling some of my zoas and monti caps. I feel like my larger purple stag and forestfire digi are also colonies. I look at a lot of my tabling/bushy acros and some are 6 to 8 inches across. I don't feel like they are at the point of being a colony yet. Then I see vendors labeling 3" frags with a few branches as mini-colonies.

Of course, none of this really matters... just a random thought.
My thoughts
If u can make 10 frags of it or if it fills in a 3 inch tile

I have a Homewrecker that some might consider a super duper crazy colony but to me it’s just a medium sized frag
I could Maby get 7 frags out of it

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts
If u can make 10 frags of it or if it fills in a 3 inch tile

I have a Homewrecker that some might consider a super duper crazy colony but to me it’s just a medium sized frag
I could Maby get 7 frags out of it
I think some vendors can make 10 frags out of a 1" coral! :p I know I have seen 1/4" frags of Homewreckers before and it makes me cringe.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some vendors can make 10 frags out of a 1" coral! :p I know I have seen 1/4" frags of Homewreckers before and it makes me cringe.
Yea I agree if that’s the case I could make 30 frags
but I’m spoiled the people I buy from Bubba ty and Aquavista have nice size frags battle corals is pretty close
so that’s what I judge what a frag is something you can see from at least five feet away
It also seems like when the frag comes in bigger it settles in faster to your system and grows faster i got like 15 corals in one day and I have some crazy growth looking back at 14 or them but the one small frag I got (as I begged for it) has barely grown but everything that came in on that day has doubled in growth

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree if that’s the case I could make 30 frags
but I’m spoiled the people I buy from Bubba ty and Aquavista have nice size frags battle corals is pretty close
so that’s what I judge what a frag is something you can see from at least five feet away
It also seems like when the frag comes in bigger it settles in faster to your system and grows faster i got like 15 corals in one day and I have some crazy growth looking back at 14 or them but the one small frag I got (as I begged for it) has barely grown but everything that came in on that day has doubled in growth
Most of my corals are from Adam. I look at my tank and even though many of the acros are a good 6" to 10" in diameter with 25+ branches I just don't look at my tank and feel like it is full of colonies.

I think my main issue is the lack of height over the rock. Only my 2 purple stags have done well, the rest grow very slow. That likely leads to my feeling the tank hasn't grown in.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my corals are from Adam. I look at my tank and even though many of the acros are a good 6" to 10" in diameter with 25+ branches I just don't look at my tank and feel like it is full of colonies.

I think my main issue is the lack of height over the rock. Only my 2 purple stags have done well, the rest grow very slow. That likely leads to my feeling the tank hasn't grown in.
Oh stop it. :) Your tank looks amazing and has some REAL MATURITY going on. Not a bunch of 3 inch sps.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh stop it. :) Your tank looks amazing and has some REAL MATURITY going on. Not a bunch of 3 inch sps.
I'm thrilled with my system, especially considering it isn't 2 years old yet. It's getting to be everything I had ever hoped it would faster than I thought it would.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thrilled with my system, especially considering it isn't 2 years old yet. It's getting to be everything I had ever hoped it would faster than I thought it would.
Good to hear! Your aquarium is amazing fun to follow and see. I think more videos are needed, now that I think about it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back