Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been contemplating running the air line at the top of the durso standpipe out doors. However I can not convince my husband to run the skimmer airline through the basement wall. so probably running two lines through the walls is going to be an uphill battle. And the spot I could just drill myself would be below the snow. So I need his help. His concern is the cold air running through the line causing condensation. I get it. So lets insulate it...that is a bigger hole. I can’t wil here. ;Woot

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm just paranoid, but I don't like posting online when I will be traveling but I've been in Arkansas all week for work. I would have spent more time on R2R but the internet here is sketchy at best. Fortunately, I drive home today after I conduct a close out meeting.

I do have one update... I did get a drop in alk consumption after breaking out all that coral but it was very short lived. I am now up to 180ml of alk per day along with Kalkwasser. This is crazy!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm just paranoid, but I don't like posting online when I will be traveling but I've been in Arkansas all week for work. I would have spent more time on R2R but the internet here is sketchy at best. Fortunately, I drive home today after I conduct a close out meeting.

I do have one update... I did get a drop in alk consumption after breaking out all that coral but it was very short lived. I am now up to 180ml of alk per day along with Kalkwasser. This is crazy!
TIme for a CaRX bro!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIme for a CaRX bro!
I know... I know...

I'm trying to hold off until Christmas but by then I may be dosing 300ml a day at the rate things are growing.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came down with the crud while in Arkansas and finally made it to the doctor yesterday. Not the flu, but they think it's viral so they gave me an steroid shot in the posterior. Those are wonderful. After living on Nyquil/Dayquil for the last 5 days I'm finally starting to feel a little better so getting some tank maintenance done. It needs it.
I started with the easy stuff. It's time for my Synergy overflow to go away so I ordered the last of the stuff I need for switching it out. I have really bad access to the back of my tank so that is going to be a less than fun job. The Synergy was fine before I kicked up my gyre flow. The high cross flow across the front makes it gurgle unless I run under 250gmp through my sump. I don't care if I get crazy high flow, but I need more than that and the noise drives me nuts. Not sure when the new overflow will arrive, but I'm hoping everything will be here to get it done this coming weekend.

Filter socks have been changed and glass has been cleaned. Next on the list is some water testing and then changing out the GFO and Carbon reactors. If I have the energy, the skimmer and skimmate locker will get cleaned. Then some long overdue pictures I hope.

Dosing update: 200ml per day as of yesterday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to improve on these walls of text. Lighting isn't right for tank photos so how about more vacation pictures?
1571493917306.png

1571494112432.png

1571494028858.png

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came down with the crud while in Arkansas and finally made it to the doctor yesterday. Not the flu, but they think it's viral so they gave me an antibiotic shot in the posterior. Those are wonderful. After living on Nyquil/Dayquil for the last 5 days I'm finally starting to feel a little better so getting some tank maintenance done. It needs it.
I started with the easy stuff. It's time for my Synergy overflow to go away so I ordered the last of the stuff I need for switching it out. I have really bad access to the back of my tank so that is going to be a less than fun job. The Synergy was fine before I kicked up my gyre flow. The high cross flow across the front makes it gurgle unless I run under 250gmp through my sump. I don't care if I get crazy high flow, but I need more than that and the noise drives me nuts. Not sure when the new overflow will arrive, but I'm hoping everything will be here to get it done this weekend.

Filter socks have been changed and glass has been cleaned. Next on the list is some water testing and then changing out the GFO and Carbon reactors. If I have the energy, the skimmer and skimmate locker will get cleaned. Then some long overdue pictures I hope.

Dosing update: 200ml per day as of yesterday.
Walls of text = detailed information.
I'll keep reading them.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now I'm ready for more walls of text. If anyone is curious

SG: 1.026 - Hanna dip tester
Temp: 77.5 - Hanna dip tester
Temp: 77.9 - GHL
Alk: 9.6 - Hanna
Alk: 9.4 - GHL
Calc: 420 - Aquaforest
MG: 1450 - Redsea
NO3: 0.75 - Redsea
PO4: 0.11 - Hanna

I'm happy with everything. PO4 is a bit high but that is expected and as mentioned earlier, its time to change the GFO.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I SOOOOO need one of those hanna salinity/temp checkers.
I don't know why I waited so long. So much easier to use than a refractometer.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last picture makes me sad. 1 person sitting alone at a swim up bar..... ;Hilarious ;Hilarious
A bunch of people canceled their reservations because some Bahama islands 100 miles north got hit by the hurricane. They invited a few radio stations to broadcast from the resort to show it was fine and gave them free 4 day stays. The swim up bar in the quiet pool was always at least half empty. The party pool swim up bar was busy most afternoons.
It made for a great trip. Nothing was busy, no waiting at bars and restaurants yet enough people we made some new friends that I think we will be getting together with in the future.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need help with the overflow swap out let me know
Thanks. I'll let you know. I think the only bad part will be reaching it. Access is tough. Fortunately, I installed it with unions. Reaching the unions and undoing the overflow connections will be the hard part.
Otherwise, only one of the new union connections needs to be exact since it's PVC pipe all the way into and connected to the sump. The second drain has a section of soft tubing. The emergency drain is free floating over the fuge.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait- your super silent shadow overflow rated for 1200gph only gets you 300gph before it starts to gurgle? Say it isn’t so?

Welcome to the club!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait- your super silent shadow overflow rated for 1200gph only gets you 300gph before it starts to gurgle? Say it isn’t so?

Welcome to the club!
Yup. Kinda frustrating. It did run very quiet at the 700ish gpm I used to run it at. After I boosted up my gyre flow it gurgles on the DT side. I've tried everything I could think of or find and it just can't handle flow running sideways across it silently.
I saw that @TaylorPilot makes an overflow that fits the same drilled holes as the Synergy. I've been told it doesn't have these problems. He did a fantastic making me a custom baffle kit for my first sump. I'm excited to see how well his overflow works. If nothing else, I know it will be built better.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Kinda frustrating. It did run very quiet at the 700ish gpm I used to run it at. After I boosted up my gyre flow it gurgles on the DT side. I've tried everything I could think of or find and it just can't handle flow running sideways across it silently.
I saw that @TaylorPilot makes an overflow that fits the same drilled holes as the Synergy. I've been told it doesn't have these problems. He did a fantastic making me a custom baffle kit for my first sump. I'm excited to see how well his overflow works. If nothing else, I know it will be built better.
I had the exact same issue. Fine at 700. Once I put gyres above 30%, gurgles.

I can run Taylor’s drop in replacement with a full anti-sync gyre flow at 70% each abd it doesn’t make a sound.

My sand hates it, but it’s as silent as the day I installed it.

You wont regret it!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back