Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets get an equipment check:

Tank:
  • Fluval M40
Lighting
  • $15 Ebay 3watt white/blue Led
  • 2 Truelumen Led Strips (1: 12k white, 1: 50/50 12k & 453nm Blue)
  • AquaIllumination Prime Led
Pump & Wavemakers:
  • Sicce Syncra Nano
  • Hydor Koralia 240
Heater:
  • Tetra 50watt submersible

So now the livestock:
  • Started with dry/white rock
  • 5lb Live Sand Bare-bottom
Fish:
  • Pair of Premium Midnight Clowns
  • Picasso Clown
  • Gold Neon Goby
  • Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish
Corals:
  • Xenias
  • Kenya Tree (Grew to size of softball, brought back to store)
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Zoas
  • Xenias
  • Mushrooms
  • Blue/Purple Cloves
  • Green Xenias
  • Red Montipora

So, obviously people might be curious to the backstory of all this. Lets go to where everything was started. 10 gallon Freshwater tank -> 55 gallon freshwater, planted with oddball, cichlids, and made into Fowlr. 55 was going to be reef after all fish were added. I had a pair of Mocha clowns, baby Hippo Tang, cleaner shrimp, sleeper banded goby, (and the cause of death of the tank) the annoying coral beauty. So I did not have a ISO tank. Yes, we all had mistakes. All my fish were bought at respectable places, and the coral beauty was bought looking healthy at a different store. Ended up giving my entire tank Ich. Took down the 55.

Onto the 75 gallon 40b custom sump, Fowlr Aggressive. Beautiful Porcupine Puffer ~6-8", by far the best fish with the best personality. Larger Sleeper banded goby, 5", the Niger Trigger, 5", and baby Snowflake eel. So knowingly when I bought the puffer, he was going through ich treatment (natural ich treatment) which was doing nothing (owner was attached to him, so he was doing it as easy for the puffer as possible). I ended up buying him even with ich (greeted me everytime I was in the store). I also bought the niger trigger and sleeper banded goby shortly after. Setup a 40B iso tank for all 3 (might as well treat them all at once)[copper treatment, and yes I know the puffer is sensitive to copper, i did my research.] They all made out fine. While vacationing in NH, I visited a lfs. I always liked eels, so i picked one up. GUESS WHAT! ich. He brought ich. So sadly all 4 into copper treatment. While I was treating this, my 75 had a slow leak on one of the corners....took it all down. Brought the puffer back to the store he came from. (all fish were fully cured before bringing back to places).

Onto a 120 gallon freshwater - monster oddballs planted

This tank crazy journey made me realize more and more. Bigger fish tanks, the longer the maintenance! More buckets to carry, etc.

So finally hit the nano stage.

So The history of the Fluval M40:

Waited about 4 weeks till I put anything in. Bought Xenias, green star polyps, kenya tree, and zoas. The xenias shriveled to nothing. (first light). On the other hand, Kenya tree was BLOOMING in the middle of the tank. As this was happening, i bought a pair of midnight clowns. Ended up having marine velvet. (one was also picking on the other.) treating them, 1 died. Bought a gold neon goby and a picasso shortly after. Picasso and midnight then fought, midnight lost. Picasso slowly whithered away (stopped eating). Down to the gold neon goby....going great....then not noticing him for like 4 days. Looked around the tank, then in the sump of the tank. Dried up in the filter floss.
20151007_183501_zpszfcjf06t.jpg

So this is the current setup looks, Yes, I do have an outbreak of algae, mostly green hair.
Will be adding Phosban most likely unless someone else has a suggestion on how to get phosphates down.

Question:
(Even before the green hair algae) The corals haven't shown much growth if any, the only coral that actually has grown, was the kenya tree I had to get rid of. It grew from the size of a pencil (tall but not big) that ended up as a softball size. Some corals are recent but few like the GSP and Zoas have had for like 5 months or so that showed no results.

Why haven't I had any growth from the corals?

OP
OP
BrianGriff

BrianGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also side note:
Calcuim: 480 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.4 dkh
Magnesium: 1380 ppm
Nitrates: 0

OP
OP
BrianGriff

BrianGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i was wondering if anyone works with acrylic (or knows someone), need a media basket for my fluval m40.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back