Bright Red Mystery Molts! Who’s in my Tank?

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone has been molting in the back corners of my tank (where it’s impossible to clean the glass & get a good look). The other day I spotted a BRIGHT candycane red leg molt, with white spots up in front in the bright light!!! The only red guy in my tank is my Red Tipped Hermit, who’s deep maroon… i added 2 bumblebee snails in July, i think i would have noticed a bright red crab in the bag lol any ideas? And should i worry? The saltwater strawberry crab’s back looks like a match, but i only have legs molts to compare TIA for any suggestions :)

IMG_0178.jpeg IMG_0179.jpeg IMG_0180.jpeg IMG_0181.jpeg IMG_0182.jpeg IMG_0185.jpeg IMG_0187.jpeg IMG_0177.png

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the? Yeah doesnt look like the hermit. Looks like you have a friend or a foe… no clue but following for sure
Thanks, i was thinking the same- the molts from my emerald crab used to fade, not get brighter! Lol and the hermit crab molts typically disappear within 1-2 days in the tank, whereas this bright molt is visible for weeks like the emerald's were.. i wonder who else is in there lol

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably catch the culprit if you set out some food after nightfall, just check with a red light. My guess is it's the hermit shed after the melanin has started fading.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably catch the culprit if you set out some food after nightfall, just check with a red light. My guess is it's the hermit shed after the melanin has started fading.
you nailed it! and apologies for my incredibly late response - but your reply had me stalking my crab with my camera and magnifying glass, and googling color spectrums, etc for weeks! haha and you are totally right! I didn’t realize the deep red would turn BRIGHT red as it faded, and here’s a rude upshot of my crab :face-with-hand-over-mouth: catching those white spots that were obscured by her shiny leg hairs from the other angles I was catching! lol!!! Mystery solved! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 18

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back