Brightwell Aquatics Xport-NO3 Cubes Review

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: I do not have any tie whatsoever with the company and bought the product for myself. Honest review with anecdotal evidence.
My NO3 level has been pretty stable cruising between 20ppm and 30ppm in my 50g tank.
I wanted to decrease a little bit this level and chose to add 500ml of this product.
I soaked the cubes in salt water + a good dose of Microbacter7 for 24 hours as indicated on the product.
One month after introduction in my sump in a low flow area, the level is now close to 0 (5ppm last check) and I needed to increase my feeding not to drop to 0.
I believe this product works great.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell makes some good stuff. I thought it was a knockoff brand for a while and never bought any of their stuff. Honestly not been disappointed by any of their stuff I have tried so far. Seeing them sponsoring some good coral farms made me rethink my positions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell makes some good stuff. I thought it was a knockoff brand for a while and never bought any of their stuff. Honestly not been disappointed by any of their stuff I have tried so far. Seeing them sponsoring some good coral farms made me rethink my positions.

Well, they have some bogus products too. I do not support them with purchases since they mislead users.

One prime example is Boost pH plus.

Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)​

Warning: Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base

Obviously hydroxide boosts alkalinity and they sell other products (kalk+2) where they say it adds alk.

I can only see two choices here:

1. They know this is wrong but say it to make sales.

2. They do not understand the most basic attributes of their own products.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle to keep detectable nitrates and have their big xport brick I soaked with microbacter7, might be the reason.

But I take it as a plus as I get to dump in aminos and not worry about it.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they have some bogus products too. I do not support them with purchases since they mislead users.

One prime example is Boost pH plus.

Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)​

Warning: Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base

Obviously hydroxide boosts alkalinity and they sell other products (kalk+2) where they say it adds alk.

I can only see two choices here:

1. They know this is wrong but say it to make sales.

2. They do not understand the most basic attributes of their own products.
This specific type of product for raising PH claiming not to adjust alk seems so common.

Very weird to me that a lot of these companies have a similar claim for similar product. I don't understand it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This specific type of product for raising PH claiming not to adjust alk seems so common.

Very weird to me that a lot of these companies have a similar claim for similar product. I don't understand it.

Perhaps the same “marine scientist” designed it for Seachem/Aquavitro and fir Brightwell. Might have been Chris Brightwell.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I wonder is, if jumping the gun on this is detrimental. If I didn't start my tank heavily focused on denitrifiers, would I have gotten dinos? Who knows, but it might be overkill to implement with a macro algae fuge or without first experiencing elevated nitrates.

Edit: based on anecdotal evidence of people i know who've used it and personal experience. It seems like it works very well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back