Brightwell Chaetogro review

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I'm considering using Seachem Iron Flourish. It is more concentrated than most iron products. A 500ml bottle contains 5000 mg of iron gluconate. (10x the iron content of Brightwell's Chaeto Grow). However following Randy's DIY usage, I also have a 300 gal tank, I would add 0.1ml twice a week. Therefore I intend to dilute Iron Flourish further in distilled water to make the dosing more manageable, likely 10-to-1. I assume this approach is not an issue, the iron gluconate will remain is suspension?
I believe I recall a thread on here about someone wiping out their tank with Flourish. I would do some more research on it.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not aware of a problem with Flourish iron, but I’d prefer a diy using Fergon tablets from a drug store since it has a purity assurance the flourish lacks.
Thanks for your take. I bought the Fergon tablets, but they are now 'green coated' and quite a few 'other ingredients'. Is there a different version that you use? or is this the recommended product?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your take. I bought the Fergon tablets, but they are now 'green coated' and quite a few 'other ingredients'. Is there a different version that you use? or is this the recommended product?

Nope, that’s the one.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my options once again as my chaeto growth as slowed. Looking at Brightwell's chaeto-grow they recommend 5ml per 20 gallons. At a 0.1% iron concentration would equate roughly 1mg per ml. For my 300 gallon tank the would be 75mg of iron twice a week for several weeks. Then dialing back to 'what's needed' which is wide open tp interpretation. Just trying to demine what is excessive? I may bump up my current dosage of 3mg to about 25mg weekly for an extended period Is that problematic?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my options once again as my chaeto growth as slowed. Looking at Brightwell's chaeto-grow they recommend 5ml per 20 gallons. At a 0.1% iron concentration would equate roughly 1mg per ml. For my 300 gallon tank the would be 75mg of iron twice a week for several weeks. Then dialing back to 'what's needed' which is wide open tp interpretation. Just trying to demine what is excessive? I may bump up my current dosage of 3mg to about 25mg weekly for an extended period Is that problematic?

Iron doses are very noncritical. There’s a very wide range between enough and too much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 60 to 70mg in a 300 gallon tank per week, while growing chaeto is likely not out of line? Thx

It’s very high and I think it is way more than is needed, but it won’t likely hurt anything. Red Sea recommends 0.1 ppm, which is also very high but not apparently killing things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back