Brightwell NeoMarine Salt Users

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t found any concrete info but maybe someone can enlighten me or point me in the correct direction.

When I tested this salt as part of my Ultimate Salt Test, it “failed” pretty bad IMO. The reason I say it failed is because the parameters were off pretty bad and it left a bunch of gunk in the bottom of the mixing station.

My question is this: do you heat your RO water before adding the salt? Or after you’ve added the salt? Or do you let it mix at room temperature and then heat before adding it to the tank?

I have heard that adding the salt into colder, room temperature water is preferred since Brightwell uses an anhydrous calcium. This heats up considerably more than other salts.

I would like to re-test this salt in my next round of testing but want to make sure I am mixing correctly. The other major fail IMO is Brightwell not giving specific instructions if the case turns out to be it needs to be mixed in cold water.

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea advises to mix their salt at room temp and then heat to aquarium level. They say the salt may precipitate if you mix in warm water.

Dooly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone through buckets of neo marine and it mixes clean for me when I preheat the RO to 76 degrees. Params have been stable for me from batch to batch as well. If I don’t preheat, i get residue

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found the answer. Helps to read the whole page from Brightwell lol

They say to heat the RO water to 76-78° before adding salt. I added it at 74°

I would be shocked if 2° caused that much of an issue. Bad batch is likely IMO

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I am trying Brightwell for the first time. I did chat with the owner...seemed knowledgeable and repeated several times to make sure you mix it into the full amount of water and not vice-versa.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back