Brightwell neophos changed concentration!

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware Brightwell neophos has changed its concentration. My last bottle from last month said 1 ml will raise 1 us gallon by 1.2ppm which is a large amount so I was only dosing 5-10 ml to bump up my p04 to where I need it. I got a new bottle and didn’t think anything of it and was dosing and I noticed my p04 was at 0 and wouldn’t move so then I realized after a weak of chasing 0 on my Hanna checker Brightwell neophos now was 1 ml will raise 1 us gallon to .05 ppm! No wonder why I have to dump 120 ml instead of 5 ml now. And of course the price stayed the same. So they diluted it by 24 times. Beware out there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait it gets better! The neonitro concentration has changed as well! I have two brand new bottles sitting next to each other and one says 1 ml will raise 1 us gallon to 5ppm and the other bottle says 1 ml will raise 1 us gallon to 2.5ppm! what the heck is brigbtwell doing! Bending us over and not lowering the price is it what it sounds like. Beware everyone shady stuff going on at Brightwell!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have both Brightwell products you mentioned. They definately diluted solutions since I bought these bottles about 6 months ago. I stopped using them as I wanted more control over my dosing. So I started making my own nitrate and phosphate solutions.

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the difference between the 2 loud wolf products? My link says mono basic KH2P04 and yours says trisodium NA3P04? I’m just curious because I just ordered the mono basic but I can order the trisodium too

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the difference between the 2 loud wolf products? My link says mono basic KH2P04 and yours says trisodium NA3P04? I’m just curious because I just ordered the mono basic but I can order the trisodium too

Both should work. KH2PO4 may also increase potassium. My potassium was high last ICP test, so I use the NA3PO4 instead.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a rep from Brightwell Aquatics on here? I’d like to know what they have to say about this as I use both NeoNitro and NeoPhos.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a rep from Brightwell Aquatics on here? I’d like to know what they have to say about this as I use both NeoNitro and NeoPhos.

I just checked their website and the dosage instructions match the bottles I have.

Per Brightwell's website;
1 ml per gal increases phosphate by 1.2ppm.

That matches the bottles I have. Kinda curious as to what's going on here myself.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what my current and almost empty bottle of NeoNitro.

D559D784-3774-422D-9CE9-A4BAA879C5D7.jpeg

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an hour long conversation with the owner of brigbtwell today jack, he’s a great guy. He admits he made a mistake on the how much he diluted the neophos because he said most of his nano tank customers were complaining it was too strong meanwhile the concentration cut in half for neonitro isn’t horrible I can live with that. So he said he will be releasing the original concentration sold with a slightly different title soon. Glad I got this figured out. Now I’m dumping about 200ml a day to try and get it stable and back .03 again. Crazy how fast the p04 binds to all the carbonate.

image.jpg

image.jpg

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the potassium nitrate for farm use to make my own nitrate solution. The bottled stuff is just too expensive for me. I’d rather spend the money on fish food...

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an hour long conversation with the owner of brigbtwell today jack, he’s a great guy. He admits he made a mistake on the how much he diluted the neophos because he said most of his nano tank customers were complaining it was too strong meanwhile the concentration cut in half for neonitro isn’t horrible I can live with that. So he said he will be releasing the original concentration sold with a slightly different title soon. Glad I got this figured out. Now I’m dumping about 200ml a day to try and get it stable and back .03 again. Crazy how fast the p04 binds to all the carbonate.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Glad this is figured out. They sure did dilute the original Neophos by alot! From 1.2 ppm per ml per gal to .05 per ml per gal is a big difference!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MT Bake, Please would you let us know the mixture ratio of making up a solution

You can make any concentration you want. More concentrated and you add less to thetank.

This calculator will help:

If you use trisodium phosphate instead of tripotassium phosphate (both are OK), then use 23% less (so 0.77 mL if it calls for 1 mL).

If you use some other phosphate salt, such as Na2HPO4, we can advise further.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wasted half an hour trying to make sense of NeoPhos dosing until I found this thread.

Bottle formula listed: 1 gallon x 1.2 ppm x 3.785 = 4.542 ml and....
Bottle: 1 ml in 1 gallon = .25 ppm

1 ml vs 4.542 ml is a big difference, but ironically the bottle says it's a stronger formula. From a customer's point of view I just lost a lot of confidence in Brightwell products. This gives the impression there is lack of attention to detail at the company.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back