Brightwell Phosphate E

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I read that Brightwells phosphate E is actually just liquid lanthanum. So what is the safest way to use it? Would just 1 drop every couple hours be okay? I use filter floss but I don't have any 5 micron filter socks.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention the size of your tank or what your current phosphate levels are. The amount to dose totally depends on your water volume, and on how much you need phosphates to drop. You need to be careful when using lanthanum chloride products because if you overdose it's easy to drop your phosphates too much and potentially zero them out. I wrote a calculator that will help calculate the correct dosage: http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/dosing-instructions-phosphate-removers.html

I use Blue Life Phosphate Rx. I have about 80 gallons total water in my setup and often find myself dosing 20 or 30 drops (about 1 or 1.5 ml) at a time, and that seems to work fine as long as I slowly drop-by-drop into the middle of my skimmer (e.g. a second or two between drops). For my water volume that's enough to drop phosphates by about 0.2 ppm, which is probably the most I'd do at one time. Brightwell Phophate-E is not as concentrated as Phosphate Rx, so I'd need about 4 times as much of it to get the same drop in phosphates.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention the size of your tank or what your current phosphate levels are. The amount to dose totally depends on your water volume, and on how much you need phosphates to drop. You need to be careful when using lanthanum chloride products because if you overdose it's easy to drop your phosphates too much and potentially zero them out. I wrote a calculator that will help calculate the correct dosage: http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/dosing-instructions-phosphate-removers.html

I use Blue Life Phosphate Rx. I have about 80 gallons total water in my setup and often find myself dosing 20 or 30 drops (about 1 or 1.5 ml) at a time, and that seems to work fine as long as I slowly drop-by-drop into the middle of my skimmer (e.g. a second or two between drops). For my water volume that's enough to drop phosphates by about 0.2 ppm, which is probably the most I'd do at one time. Brightwell Phophate-E is not as concentratd as Phosphate Rx, so I'd need about 4 times as much of it to get the same drop in phosphates.
I'm not asking how much to dose, I want to know how to do it safely. I know that dumping in lanthanum chloride is dangerous and I want to know how to do it without killing fish.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Into the skimmer or into a 5 micron sock. I used this product for a bit. Keep an eye on your fish. Ik Melves Reef says phosphate rx doesn’t affect his tangs, but my wrasse reacted immediately. Only a couple drops at a time into my skimmer. It usually foams up a lot, once it subsides I added more. Kind of a pain.

If I ever use it again, I would get a sock.

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think that dosing maybe 3 ml of this stuff directly into a 5 micron sock 2x a day would be okay? I have 2+ppm phosphate in a 220 gallon system

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use Blue Life Phosphate Rx. I have about 80 gallons total water in my setup and often find myself dosing 20 or 30 drops (about 1 or 1.5 ml) at a time, and that seems to work fine as long as I slowly drop-by-drop into the middle of my skimmer (e.g. a second or two between drops). For my water volume that's enough to drop phosphates by about 0.2 ppm, which is probably the most I'd do at one time. Brightwell Phophate-E is not as concentrated as Phosphate Rx, so I'd need about 4 times as much of it to get the same drop in phosphates.

Thanks for the calculator!

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the time in making this calculator. Reading a bunch of instructions for each product can be a bit confusing, but your tool took out all the math!

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Into the skimmer or into a 5 micron sock. I used this product for a bit. Keep an eye on your fish. Ik Melves Reef says phosphate rx doesn’t affect his tangs, but my wrasse reacted immediately. Only a couple drops at a time into my skimmer. It usually foams up a lot, once it subsides I added more. Kind of a pain.

If I ever use it again, I would get a sock.
The harsh lessons we learn thanks to the irresponsibility of the product manufacturers/owners. So much for maintaining brand integrity. My experience was with Continuum Aquatics Phos Correx, which irresponsibly label their product as 'proprietary phosphate remover' and offer rather lame directions on dosing. Like you, if I were to ever trust and use such a product again, there would be so much that I would do differently with the dosing side of things, including using a 5 micron sock.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back