Brine Shrimp-raising

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been hatching brine shrimp for my 3 tanks (2 salt, 1 fresh) as I was getting in some new fish. I have a hatchery and I'd just take out the ones ready and put them in a mason jar with an airline. Every once in a while I'd dump in a pinch of Spirulina powder or some phyto. I wasn't aiming to raise them. After a while, I wasn't feeding them as much to the tanks, and the baby brine grew to adults! I noticed a few. Then I noticed a lot of adults. So I set up a 5 gal tank with a sponge filter. No heater as my house keeps the tanks at 77-79.

I started another batch of eggs to add. So what is the best way to raise them.

How often to feed?
What to feed besides spirulina powder?
I also have paracoccus powder, and hatchery diet but that might be too large
Is phyto good?
Is it okay to just add the powder to the surface or should I mix with tank water and add.
Also, in the same set up, can I raise copepods in with the shrimp?

I know from doing copepods you let the water turn green and when it cleared you added more phyto. Is it the same with brine? Is this sponge filter food enough for a 5 gal?

Any advice greatly appreciated lol's. I figure my grandkids will get a kick out of this esp. as I can change the led light colors.
20210508_170403.jpg

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been hatching brine shrimp for my 3 tanks (2 salt, 1 fresh) as I was getting in some new fish. I have a hatchery and I'd just take out the ones ready and put them in a mason jar with an airline. Every once in a while I'd dump in a pinch of Spirulina powder or some phyto. I wasn't aiming to raise them. After a while, I wasn't feeding them as much to the tanks, and the baby brine grew to adults! I noticed a few. Then I noticed a lot of adults. So I set up a 5 gal tank with a sponge filter. No heater as my house keeps the tanks at 77-79.

I started another batch of eggs to add. So what is the best way to raise them.

How often to feed?
What to feed besides spirulina powder?
I also have paracoccus powder, and hatchery diet but that might be too large
Is phyto good?
Is it okay to just add the powder to the surface or should I mix with tank water and add.
Also, in the same set up, can I raise copepods in with the shrimp?

I know from doing copepods you let the water turn green and when it cleared you added more phyto. Is it the same with brine? Is this sponge filter food enough for a 5 gal?

Any advice greatly appreciated lol's. I figure my grandkids will get a kick out of this esp. as I can change the led light colors.
20210508_170403.jpg
Sea monkeys!! Lol I have no idea on the raising part

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live phytoplankton is the best, and they eat 24/7 so always keep the water tinted green, but IF you get it too green photosynthesis from the phyto can cause pH issues. i personally do not filter my BS cultures, a little Chloram-X and siphon the crud off the bottom when needed.
0.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back