Bringing home a melanarus tomorrow question

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long until I can expect him to eat, right now he is just hiding. Barely have seen him in over 24 hours. Which I'm sure is normal. When he was out swimming, he was face down nose skimming the bottom basically. Was weird.

He should eat soon after he comes out :)

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can I expect him to stay hidden?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stayed under for 36 hours, a friends was for 24 hours. Big thing is not to bother him and he will come out when he's ready :)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can I expect him to stay hidden?
When I brought home my 2 blue stars both stayed in the sand for 3 days. One of them popped their heads out on day 2 then went back. Once they were out swimming I feed frozen mysis and they ate like crazy. Think how you would feel after not eating for days. I fed as much as possible.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's probably nose down to try and escape or he sees his reflection. it looks like lights are out in the picture but just in case I like to use ambient light from the room until they eat and come out regularly in qt. Seems to stress them out less but gets them adjusted somewhat to your day period.

I've successfully QT'd 2 golden rhomboid fairy wrasse, red velvet, melenarus and Leopard wrasse with Copper Power. It's ran at a higher concentration, 2.5 but all fish I put through it didn't skip a beat. I raised the levels slowly over 7 days as previously mentioned. I did bite the bullet and bought the high range Hannah checker for copper. anthias, tangs, wrasse, clowns, hawkish, gobies, and midas blenny all made it with no problem.

Humblefish has a great ich and velvet sticky in the fish disease treatment section. great read that'll help you spot symptoms and take the correct action.

Beautiful Fish & congrats! as long as you have ammonia/Sg/temp in check it'll be fine.

Do you plan to run a prazipro treatment? a good idea with wrasse IME

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I plan on treating with prazipro, after I finish treating with coppersafe. Thanks for the advice, I'll start running a light schedule to keep him use to his new schedule.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home today and he is in the same spot he usually is, hiding behind the container, not moving. Should I try feeding him when he is like this? He doesn't seem like he is doing well. Shouldn't he be swimming around a bit more?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC elbows are nice. They wont use the sand unless they are threatened or sleeping. Sounds like hes semi scared still. Try to feed him a tiny piece of mysis. If hes not eating you dont want left over food in the tank. He just needs to learn your face and associate it with food :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed lightly, but feed. Offer small, but frequent opportunities to begin eating. Morning and evening, if you can manage it - and your biofilter can handle it. (You can siphon out uneaten food if it's necessary.)

Pretty good chance he'll perk up rather smartly when he tastes mysis on the currents . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have mysis. I have frozen and freeze dried brine, also NLS pellets. Also what's pictured. What should I offer him?

IMG_3706.JPG

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm a dummy. I soaked freeze dried brine in garlic guard, and tried to feed that. That stuff does not sink. Only a few pieces sank randomly, he did however eat two pieces!! So I thawed some rods, and it's soaking in garlic guard, will try again tomorrow.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I put that food in the water though, he got very active.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a small piece of raw table shrimp or raw scallops, small enough he can just swallow it up. Without the garlic.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mainly a meat eater, I had fish that wouldn't touch the food soaked with garlic.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated all 3 of my Wrasses ( Melanurus, Red Margin and Filamented Fairy) with Coppersafe with no problems. Make sure he's eating for a couple of days before you start to raise the copper to therapeutic levels.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated all 3 of my Wrasses ( Melanurus, Red Margin and Filamented Fairy) with Coppersafe with no problems. Make sure he's eating for a couple of days before you start to raise the copper to therapeutic levels.
I think I will start treating him this weekend. Pack him full of meat and selcon until then.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty normal right now. He should settle in within a few days, but you really need something meaty to feed him (not freeze dried). Skip the garlic because it doesn't do anything besides act as an appetite stimulant, and I doubt you'll need that.

Back