OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is pretty discouraging, didn't know wrasse were so sesntive when it comes to copper treating

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't treat with copper unless ich bescomes apparent. At which point I'll try and use other proven methods, which I will need to research more...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. (Difficult as it is with a new daughter, try to spend at least some time each day observing for symptoms. She might enjoy just sitting in your lap and watching the pretty fishie...)

There is a copper-free method of treating for ich, called "Tank Transfer Method" or TTM. Not sure how you'd manage it with a sand-sleeping wrasse, without burning through a lot of sand as well as a lot of salt, but that info is probably out there somewhere . . . Keep in mind that TTM works against ich only.

For me, the chelated copper and Prazi-Pro have become my go-to. They work well for a lot of things, so long as they're administered separately. I have discovered that the brand I generally use, Kordon's "Safe Copper Aid", has somewhat misleading instructions - 5ml/4gal will not get me into a therapeutic range. Couldn't figure out why until I visited their website, where it says the four-ounce bottle treats 50 gallons. Not really the same thing - and that's why a test kit is important. For chelated, use the API copper test.

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is pretty discouraging, didn't know wrasse were so sesntive when it comes to copper treating

While TTM is the preferred method of QT'ing a wrasse or any fish for that matter, I've had no problems with melanarus wrasses in Coppersafe. The container of sand is a good thing and will help him not be overly stressed while going through treatment.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't treat with copper unless ich bescomes apparent. At which point I'll try and use other proven methods, which I will need to research more...
It isn't always apparent. There are reports on here of people with fish who have a level of resistance to it and don't show symptoms for an extended period of time. I would assume it has ich and QT it accordingly.

While TTM is the preferred method of QT'ing a wrasse or any fish for that matter, I've had no problems with melanarus wrasses in Coppersafe. The container of sand is a good thing and will help him not be overly stressed while going through treatment.
Is Chloroquine phosphate well tolerated by wrasses?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone that overdosed with ionic copper recently. They were going by chelated copper therapeutic levels. They said they dosed 1-2ppm with cupramine. Treatment was on a melanururus and coral beauty. Both completed full 30 days of Cupramine copper treatment and made it through the 76 days in QT. Its a hardy species of wrasse. Good one to start with IMO.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich won't show in a melanarus wrasse and I've had them survive velvet and ich both long term without symptoms. They're very very resilient and since they borrow under the sand they are more slowly taken over by parasites so they build immunity better than nearly any other kind of fish. They also have a very thick slime coat which helps.

What this means is that wrasse often serve as catalysts for delivering parasites to your display tank inadvertently. Quarantining alone them won't cut it unfortunately. I've learned that lesson many many times over.

I know you don't want to hear that though.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of trouble with halichoeres wrasse in copper until I increased it very very very slowly and gave them time to adjust first. I killed 6/7 before doing it that way. Bringing it up over 2-3 days is suicide for them unless they're very established they handle it much better IME

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't always apparent. There are reports on here of people with fish who have a level of resistance to it and don't show symptoms for an extended period of time. I would assume it has ich and QT it accordingly.

Is Chloroquine phosphate well tolerated by wrasses?
CP is not well received by wrasse typically if my memory serves although I've had no experience trying.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I added him to the QT, and he darted right to the sand and burrowed. He is beautiful, his colors are fantastic. I'm a bit concerned though now as far as treating him. Should I use other methods rather than copper? If there are any successful? I'm very new to fish, even more so to quarantine.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of trouble with halichoeres wrasse in copper until I increased it very very very slowly and gave them time to adjust first. I killed 6/7 before doing it that way. Bringing it up over 2-3 days is suicide for them unless they're very established they handle it much better IME

Question. Since copper-aid is a diluted version of chelated would it be safer to use on wrasse in place of coppersafe? Im guessing 1ml of copper-aid is equal to .05ppm per 10 gallons of tank water.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Since copper-aid is a diluted version of chelated would it be safer to use on wrasse in place of coppersafe? Im guessing 1ml of copper-aid is equal to .05ppm per 10 gallons of tank water.
You won't want diluted copper levels or else it won't be effective. 1.5-2.0 is needed. As I see it I would rather dose less of a higher dose product slowly.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking things out without getting out of bed....

IMG_3754.JPG

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long until I can expect him to eat, right now he is just hiding. Barely have seen him in over 24 hours. Which I'm sure is normal. When he was out swimming, he was face down nose skimming the bottom basically. Was weird.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back