Bristle worn sting

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I had to take down my 220 yesterday. Bristle worm got me. Should I be worried? Pretty swollen still and can’t move my 3 finger too well. It hurts but isn’t too bad of pain.

image.jpg image.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I can't even tell which finger.

Maybe go to an urge-center to have it examined?

I've never heard of a bristle worm sting. Did you handle any live rock (I imagine you did)?

I have developed swelling and infection in my fingertips a few times when getting a good grip on big pieces of live rock. The weight of the pieces caused micro cuts in my skin and I guess the nitrifying bacteria colony took up residence in the cuts.

Antibiotics did the trick.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the first three finger all but my pinky and thumb. I did handle about 200 lbs of live rock. I used duct tape to pull the bristles from my hand. Here my other hand for comparison

image.jpg image.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. Thanks. Might be going to urgent care. Today.
Good call. Don’t risk a minor annoyance when you can get covid, strep, and mrsa all at the same time for an affordable price. Make sure to get the prescription Benadryl. It cost $125 so it’s much better.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately I had to take down my 220 yesterday. Bristle worm got me. Should I be worried? Pretty swollen still and can’t move my 3 finger too well. It hurts but isn’t too bad of pain.

image.jpg image.jpg
As a trauma nurse, these are painful but non-venomous and can be removed by placing hand in 3% peroxide and removed with tweezers under a magnifying glass so you can see clearly, each bristle. You may get a red dot on each one which is normal and will go away.
This is the reason I do NOT welcome Bristleworms in my tanks

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this last time I moved my 220 downstairs but not nearly this bad.

Think it’s live rock infection too. Thousands of vermetid snails. Those tubes are razor sharp

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this last time I moved my 220 downstairs but not nearly this bad.

Think it’s live rock infection too. Thousands of vermetid snails. Those tubes are razor sharp

I would love to give you more grief but what you need to watch for is:

Construction of airway
Fever
Any signs of blood poisoning
Anything local beyond basic swelling, slight redness, minor heat.

Obviously if it goes necrotic you should go to ED. Otherwise you’re just gonna waste half a day while some GP looks up bristleworms on wiki and flips through Tabers.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to give you more grief but what you need to watch for is:

Construction of airway
Fever
Any signs of blood poisoning
Anything local beyond basic swelling, slight redness, minor heat.

Obviously if it goes necrotic you should go to ED. Otherwise you’re just gonna waste half a day while some GP looks up bristleworms on wiki and flips through Tabers.
Grief is welcome. Just want to make sure I don’t lose a finger. Sort of important.

I had the chills last night so possibility of a very mild fever. All is good this morning.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. Don’t risk a minor annoyance when you can get covid, strep, and mrsa all at the same time for an affordable price. Make sure to get the prescription Benadryl. It cost $125 so it’s much better.

As a trauma nurse, these are painful but non-venomous and can be removed by placing hand in 3% peroxide and removed with tweezers under a magnifying glass so you can see clearly, each bristle. You may get a red dot on each one which is normal and will go away.

The difference between a useles post and a useful one is so plain when they come one after the other.

Thanks as always @vetteguy53081 good knowledge to have. Do you place your hand into undiluted peroxide?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The difference between a useles post and a useful one is so plain when they come one after the other.

Thanks as always @vetteguy53081 good knowledge to have. Do you place your hand into undiluted peroxide?
Agree this was sound advice.

I haven’t done anything. Last night it didn’t seem too bad. This morning it seems to have gotten a bit worse

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven’t done anything. Last night it didn’t seem too bad. This morning it seems to have gotten a bit worse
Bit worse in terms of swelling? Redness? Pain?

I am not a medical professional but increased symptoms + chills does make me wonder about infection. I had an infection a long time ago I got while unpacking live rock. No idea if it was actually from the saltwater or rock, it was just a classic small cut that got more inflamed and sensitive over a span of about 48 hours and my boss thankfully sent me to a walk in.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm needles don’t seem to bother me for whatever reason but…
I’ve also been bitten by some kind of worm with actual mouth pincers (NO CLUE what kind bit have a pic somewhere) ..I got sick (local reaction) and had to go to the emergency room…
I’m not medically qualified either, but don’t mess around…ain’t worth it…

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Yes
Chills generally not associated but everyone reacts differently. Swelling, inflammation and rashes are typical. This is being made out to be as dangerous as palytoxins which is often over extended as to risk

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

you will have seen swelling and redness which will subside over next 24 hours. You can use cortizone for control of this

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back