Bristletooth acting strang

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody and welcome. I’m going to try to post a video of my white tail bristletooth tang. I came home from work today and noticed that it was not moving in the corner of the tank when I started cleaning the tank glass. Which made me start to wonder. the other fish in this 400 gallon aquarium are doing fine. They’re pretty much always Is ich in the tank and they fight it off for years and years. The fish is several years old. I have not added anything new to the tank in several months. I noticed it’s eyes are twitching back-and-forth. And it is displaying more Ich than normal. I was even able to scoop it out with a net which is usually impossible with all the live rock. I happen to have a quarantine set up currently running coppersafe (safes my fishes lives multiple times, love this stuff) with my new purchased Anthea’s so I scooped him up and put him in there. I was able to remove him from display tank. This is what he looks like. Almost like neurologic eyes twitching a lot. Not sure if the video will load. Nystagmus and swimming backwards if it doesn’t load. So weird. Also lips don’t open close like a swollen open. Anemone sting?

5DEB36FF-A96F-490C-AFE3-F510025DD875.jpeg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is its mouth usually open that much? Is it possibly an obstruction?

I am not at all an expert, just trying to digure out reasons for the backwards swimming.

I guess it could also mean it's sick or trying to prevent shock. Any sign of flukes? Could be an infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody and welcome. I’m going to try to post a video of my white tail bristletooth tang. I came home from work today and noticed that it was not moving in the corner of the tank when I started cleaning the tank glass. Which made me start to wonder. the other fish in this 400 gallon aquarium are doing fine. They’re pretty much always Is ich in the tank and they fight it off for years and years. The fish is several years old. I have not added anything new to the tank in several months. I noticed it’s eyes are twitching back-and-forth. And it is displaying more Ich than normal. I was even able to scoop it out with a net which is usually impossible with all the live rock. I happen to have a quarantine set up currently running coppersafe (safes my fishes lives multiple times, love this stuff) with my new purchased Anthea’s so I scooped him up and put him in there. I was able to remove him from display tank. This is what he looks like. Almost like neurologic eyes twitching a lot. Not sure if the video will load. Nystagmus and swimming backwards if it doesn’t load. So weird. Also lips don’t open close like a swollen open. Anemone sting?

5DEB36FF-A96F-490C-AFE3-F510025DD875.jpeg

I'd agree with some neurologic issue - one presumed cause for this is striking something in the tank, that also causes the open mouth issue. No treatment for that I'm afraid, just time to heal.

In one of the videos, for a split second, I could see lots of spots on the fish. Either ich is getting the upper hand with this fish, or it is developing mucus spots - I couldn't see clearly enough. I would keep it in copper to see if those resolve (and of course, keep a close eye on all those other fish in the main tank).

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is its mouth usually open that much? Is it possibly an obstruction?

I am not at all an expert, just trying to digure out reasons for the backwards swimming.

I guess it could also mean it's sick or trying to prevent shock. Any sign of flukes? Could be an infection
No mouth usually not open like that . I will pull him out real quick n look in mouth or a shell or rock

OP
OP
A

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank pretty much always has Ich in small amounts, on the tangs mostly it’s noticeable more towards the end of the day after lights were in all day. They get a huge variety of food so I try to keep them relatively healthy plus I soak nori in selcon and vitachem and Angelixir. I feed tons of different pellets . So I try to keep the tank pretty healthy. And all the other fix are currently fine (hopefully stays that way).

OP
OP
A

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked, there’s no obstruction. Was hoping for an easy fix, maybe it truly is neurological and it’s only affecting this fish. Or maybe he got old and sick and the Ich did get him. But I’d think the blue hippos would have got it first cause they are the most sensitive. All three are fine

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back